Maps The Battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia
About this Item
- The Battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia
- Shows the area of eastern Henrico County, Va., where the battle of Malvern Hill was fought. The landscape gave the Union forces a strong natural position from which to fend off the Confederate attack.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Porter, Fitz-John,--1822-1901
- - Malvern HIll, Battle of, Va., 1862--Maps
- - Peninsular Campaign, 1862--Maps
- - Seven Days' Battles, Va., 1862--Maps
- - Henrico County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Henrico County
- - United States--Virginia--Malvern Hill
- - Malvern Hill, Battle of, Va
- - Peninsular Campaign
- - Seven Days' Battles, Va
- - "Malvern Hill was an elevated plateau about 150 feet and was 1 1/2 miles long by 3/4 of a mile in width. The Union forces under Porter occupied the Hill on Monday forenoon. The rest arrived at 6 PM. Monday 31st May from Battle of Glendale and White Oak Swamp by the Quaker Road. Trees were felled during the night and all in position by 5 a.m. July 1st."--Page caption.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 171).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 28.5 x 40 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Henrico County (va.)
Malvern Hill, Battle Of, Va
Malvern Hill, Battle Of, Va.
Seven Days' Battles, Va
Seven Days' Battles, Va.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. The Battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00251/. (Accessed September 25, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) The Battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00251/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. The Battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00251/>.