Maps Plan of the battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia. Fought June 30th and July 1st, 1862.
About this Item
- Plan of the battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia. Fought June 30th and July 1st, 1862.
- "The position of Union forces at Malvern Hill was on the West. Overlooking Warren were 36 guns having full sweep of the Valley and over the River Road. These batteries were [Stephen Hinsdale] Weed's NYork battery, Edwards', Carlisle's, Smead's and Voegele's. To these later in the day were added the siege guns 1st Conn. Artillery under Col. Robert O. Tyler[,;] these were placed on high ground near the Malvern House (or Wyatt's brick house). These swept all the meadow to the left. [George Webb] Morrell prolonged [George] Sykes' line on Crew's Hill[;] on his left was Weeden's battery of Rhode Island, also Livingston's, Edwards', Kingsbury, Ames, Waterman's, Hydes and Bramhalls' Batteries (61 guns) -- all under supervision of Genl. [Charles] Griffin -- other batteries were placed in reserve in back of Crew's house and near West's house -- all these guns were in action -- To these were added the immense guns of 3 gunboats on the James River.
- Shows the section of eastern Henrico County, Va., where the Battle of Malvern Hill took place. Sneden includes extensive notes discussing the position of various divisions and the course of action, including those below.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Griffin, Charles,--1825-1867
- - Keyes, Erasmus D.--(Erasmus Darwin),--1810-1895
- - Morell, George Webb,--1815-1883
- - Porter, Fitz-John,--1822-1901
- - Sykes, George,--1822-1880
- - Tyler, Robert Ogden,--1831-1874
- - Weed, Steven Hinsdale,--1834-1863
- - United States.--Army of the Potomac
- - Malvern Hill, Battle of, Va., 1862--Maps
- - Peninsular Campaign, 1862--Maps
- - Seven Days' Battles, Va., 1862--Maps
- - Henrico County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Henrico County
- - United States--Virginia--Malvern Hill
- - Malvern Hill, Battle of, Va
- - Peninsular Campaign
- - Seven Days' Battles, Va
- - "The 1st and 4th Army Corps (Fitz-John Porter and Keyes) took their position on Malvern Hill on the morning of 30th June, they being the first to arrive there. The rest of the retreating army arrived there from 3 1/2 to 5 PM. The Enemy got there about 5 1/4 PM. Holmes' Division of Magruder's Command."--Page caption.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 172).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 16 x 29.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Army of the Potomac
Henrico County (Va.)
Keyes, Erasmus D.
Malvern Hill, Battle Of, Va
Malvern Hill, Battle Of, Va.
Morell, George Webb
Seven Days' Battles, Va
Seven Days' Battles, Va.
Tyler, Robert Ogden
Weed, Steven Hinsdale
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia. Fought June 30th and July 1st, 1862. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00252/. (Accessed December 07, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) Plan of the battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia. Fought June 30th and July 1st, 1862. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00252/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia. Fought June 30th and July 1st, 1862. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00252/>.