Map Map showing position of Union and Rebel armies and Jackson's flank march during 2nd Battle of Bull Run, Aug. 28th to 31st, 1862.
About this Item
- Map showing position of Union and Rebel armies and Jackson's flank march during 2nd Battle of Bull Run, Aug. 28th to 31st, 1862.
- Fortunately, Pope's forces retained control of Henry House Hill, thereby allowing the bulk of his army to retreat safely across Bull Run toward Centreville.
- As part of Lee's plan to interrupt Pope's line of communications, he sent Jackson in a flank movement around the Union Army to take up a position between it and Centreville; Jackson chose the vicinity of Sudley Mountain. As the Union forces advanced toward Centreville, they were surprised to meet Jackson's men near Groveton (28 August). Pope immediately concentrated his entire force in the area, assuming they would meet only Jackson's division and land an easy victory (August 29). The first day of fighting consisted largely of delaying the Union forces until Longstreet's division could arrive as reinforcements. When on August 30 Jackson's army moved back from the positions it had reached on the day previous, Pope assumed they were in retreat, and began a full-scale assault, which was strongly repulsed. Longstreet's division, which had been waiting on Jackson's flank, now flanked the unsuspecting Federals.
- This map shows an area of Fauquier and Prince William counties, Va., that includes Bealeton Station (on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad) to the southwest, the town of Warrenton to the west, and the town of Gainesville to the north.
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
Created / Published
- - Jackson, Stonewall,--1824-1863
- - Lee, Robert E.--(Robert Edward),--1807-1870
- - Longstreet, James,--1821-1904
- - Pope, John,--1822-1892
- - Bull Run, 2nd Battle of, Va., 1862--Maps
- - Fauquier County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Prince William County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Fauquier County
- - United States--Virginia--Manassas Region
- - United States--Virginia--Prince William County
- - Bull Run, 2nd Battle of, Va
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 206).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 33 x 45 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Map showing position of Union and Rebel armies and Jackson's flank march during 2nd Battle of Bull Run, Aug. 28th to 31st. [to 1865, 1862] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00254/.
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) Map showing position of Union and Rebel armies and Jackson's flank march during 2nd Battle of Bull Run, Aug. 28th to 31st. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00254/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Map showing position of Union and Rebel armies and Jackson's flank march during 2nd Battle of Bull Run, Aug. 28th to 31st. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00254/>.