Maps The Battle of Antietam, Septr. 16th-17th, 1862.
About this Item
- The Battle of Antietam, Septr. 16th-17th, 1862.
- In this detail from a printed map, Sneden shows the movement of the Lee's Confederate line at the battle of Antietam. On September 16 the Confederates are shown east of Sharpsburg. On September 17, after a day of intense fighting, the Confederates have pulled back slightly to just outside the town of Sharpsburg. On September 18 they are shown moving toward Shepherdstown, W. Va.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Antietam, Battle of, Md., 1862--Maps
- - Maryland Campaign, 1862--Maps
- - Sharpsburg (Md.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Maryland--Antietam
- - United States--Maryland--Sharpsburg
- - Antietam, Battle of, Md
- - Maryland Campaign
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 228).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 43 x 33.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. The Battle of Antietam, Septr. 16th-17th, 1862. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00258/. (Accessed August 26, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) The Battle of Antietam, Septr. 16th-17th, 1862. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00258/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. The Battle of Antietam, Septr. 16th-17th, 1862. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00258/>.