Map Plan of the battle of Fredericksburg. Fought 13th Decr. 1862.
About this Item
- Plan of the battle of Fredericksburg. Fought 13th Decr. 1862.
- Map shows Gen. R. E. Lee's strong position on the heights overlooking Fredericksburg, Va. While he could not prevent the Union forces from crossing the Rappahannock River on December 13 and taking the town, they were unable, despite repeated suicidal assaults, to take the hills on which the Confederate forces were entrenched. After several days astride the river, the Union forces withdrew the night of December 15.
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Paine, William H.
Created / Published
- - Franklin, William Buel,--1823-1903
- - Sumner, Edwin V.--(Edwin Vose),--1797-1863
- - Fredericksburg, Battle of, Fredericksburg, Va., 1862--Maps
- - Fredericksburg (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Fredericksburg
- - Fredericksburg, Battle of, Fredericksburg, Va
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - The left Grand Division under Franklin was ordered to attack at Hamilton's Crossing and seize the heights held by Jackson. The right Grand Division to attack Longstreet's position in front and seize Marie's Hights. This was to be two isolated attacks. Franklin was repulsed because his columns of attack were not properly supported. The stone wall was held by 1700 Rebels, each man having 3 muskets loaded continually by those in the rear ranks. Sumner was also repulsed with over 2000 killed. They got within 25 paces of the wall only."--Page caption.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 246).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 27 x 38 cm.
- Virginia HIstorical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox, and William H Paine. Plan of the battle of Fredericksburg. Fought 13th Decr. [to 1865, 1862] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00261/.
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. & Paine, W. H. (1862) Plan of the battle of Fredericksburg. Fought 13th Decr. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00261/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox, and William H Paine. Plan of the battle of Fredericksburg. Fought 13th Decr. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00261/>.