Map Battle of Gettysburg, Penna. Showing positions held 1st and 3rd July 1863.
About this Item
- Battle of Gettysburg, Penna. Showing positions held 1st and 3rd July 1863.
- This map of the battlefield at Gettysburg juxtaposes locations of various units on the first and third days of the three-day battle. Most of the fighting on July 1st seems to have taken place to the northwest of the town of Gettysburg, while that on July 3rd is concentrated to the southeast.
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
Created / Published
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863--Maps
- - Gettysburg (Pa.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Gettysburg Region
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa
- - Color coding indicates the location of Unin and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 286).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 27.5 x 40.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Battle of Gettysburg, Penna. Showing positions held 1st and 3rd July. [to 1865, 1862] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00265/.
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) Battle of Gettysburg, Penna. Showing positions held 1st and 3rd July. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00265/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Battle of Gettysburg, Penna. Showing positions held 1st and 3rd July. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00265/>.