Maps Plan of the Battle of Winchester, Va. Fought September 19th, 1864.
About this Item
- Plan of the Battle of Winchester, Va. Fought September 19th, 1864.
- Detail of Winchester, Va., and environs includes roads, railroads, creeks, mills, fords, and the locations of the Confederate Signal Station, "Millroy's Forts," Milltown, Kernstown, Stephenson's Depot, and Greenwood Church.
- The Confederate line, with Early commanding, is in front of Winchester. Union forces under Gen. Sheridan are shown east of the town, while the Union cavalry is located to the north at Stephenson's Depot. The Union forces were able to push Early's Confederates back toward the town and to the south, but were unsuccessful in their attempt to flank his right, thereby allowing him to retreat up the valley toward Strasburg.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Early, Jubal Anderson,--1816-1894
- - Sheridan, Philip Henry,--1831-1888
- - Winchester, 3rd Battle of, Winchester, Va., 1864--Maps
- - Winchester (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Winchester
- - Winchester, 3rd Battle of, Winchester, Va
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbookimage.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 416).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 12.5 x 20 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Early, Jubal Anderson
Sheridan, Philip Henry
Winchester, 3rd Battle Of, Winchester, Va
Winchester, 3rd Battle Of, Winchester, Va.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the Battle of Winchester, Va. Fought September 19th, 1864. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00272/. (Accessed February 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) Plan of the Battle of Winchester, Va. Fought September 19th, 1864. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00272/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the Battle of Winchester, Va. Fought September 19th, 1864. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00272/>.