Maps The Rebel defences [sic] of Savannah, Georgia, 1864
About this Item
- The Rebel defences [sic] of Savannah, Georgia, 1864
- Printed map of Savannah, Ga., and environs indicating rivers and creeks, swamps and marshes, cultivated and flooded fields, and names of selected landowners. Annotations by Sneden highlight the positions of Union and Confederate forces and show the direction of Confederate General Hardee's retreat on the night of December 20th, 1864.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Hardee, William Joseph,--1815-1873
- - Georgia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Savannah (Ga.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Georgia--Savannah
- - Color coding indicates the location of Confederate fortifications.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 431).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 17 x 18 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [The Rebel defences sic of Savannah, Georgia, 1864]. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00276/. (Accessed July 26, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) [The Rebel defences sic of Savannah, Georgia, 1864]. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00276/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [The Rebel defences sic of Savannah, Georgia, 1864]. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00276/>.