Maps Plan of the Battle of Carnifex Ferry, West Virginia.
About this Item
- Plan of the Battle of Carnifex Ferry, West Virginia.
- Carnifex Ferry is located on the Gauley River east of the town of Gauley Bridge. Floyd's Confederate forces are positioned with their backs to the Gauley River, and the Union is shown attacking chiefly in the center and on the left.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Benham, Henry Washington,--1813-1884
- - Floyd, John B.--(John Buchanan),--1806-1863
- - Hartsuff, George Lucas,--1830-1874
- - Lytle, William Haines,--1826-1863
- - McCook, Robert Latimer,--1827-1862
- - Scammon, Eliakim Parker,--1816-1894
- - Smith, William Sooy,--1830-1916
- - Carnifex Ferry, Battle of, W. Va., 1861--Maps
- - West Virginia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--West Virginia--Carnifex Ferry
- - Carnifex Ferry, Battle of, W. Va
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - The Union forces were fought under Genl. Benham and Capt. Hartsuff and Genl. Scammon. Col. Lytel [sic] with the 10th and 12th Ohio Regts. charged the Rebel position in left centre. Col. Smith, the extreme right of the batteries. Col. Lowe directly in front. Col. McCook extreme left of Enemy's position. Col. Lytel [sic] lost a leg. Col. Lowe was killed. McCook fought from 6 to 9 PM. and all laid on their arms during the night. Floyd evacuated his position during the night, leaving all his tents and camp equipage, wagons, horses, large amount of ammunition, 16 guns and 50 head of cattle. Floyd was wounded in the arm. He retreated with great haste, 15 miles on the Charleston road, thence to the Green River. Benham's command lost most during the battle."--Page caption.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 436).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 14.5 x 26.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Benham, Henry Washington
Carnifex Ferry, Battle Of, W. Va
Carnifex Ferry, Battle Of, W. Va.
Hartsuff, George Lucas
Lytle, William Haines
McCook, Robert Latimer
Scammon, Eliakim Parker
Smith, William Sooy
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the Battle of Carnifex Ferry, West Virginia. [to 1865, 1861] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00280. (Accessed February 13, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1861) Plan of the Battle of Carnifex Ferry, West Virginia. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00280.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the Battle of Carnifex Ferry, West Virginia. [to 1865, 1861] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00280>.