Maps Capture of forts [sic] Henry ... Tennessee By U.S. Grant, January 1862.
About this Item
- Capture of forts [sic] Henry ... Tennessee By U.S. Grant, January 1862.
- Shows Confederate Fort Henry on the Tennessee River. The entire site was to include the fort on the low ground near the edge of the river with an entrenched camp (Fort Heiman) on a high plateau immediately above it. The work was not completed and on the day of the Union attack the river had partially flooded the fort site. Realizing the futility of his position, Confederate Brig. Gen. Lloyd Tilghman sent the majority of his force east to reinforce Fort Donelson (on the Columbia River) before surrendering.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Tilghman, Lloyd,--1816-1863
- - Fort Henry, Battle of, Tenn., 1862--Maps
- - Fortification--United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Pictorial works
- - Fort Henry (Tenn.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Tennessee--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Tennessee--Fort Henry Region
- - Fort Henry, Battle of, Tenn
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 437).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 14.5 x 12 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
LocationFort Henry Region
Fort Henry (Tenn.)
Fort Henry Region
Fort Henry, Battle Of, Tenn
Fort Henry, Battle Of, Tenn.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Capture of forts sic Henry ... Tennessee By U.S. Grant, January 1862]. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00281/. (Accessed January 22, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) [Capture of forts sic Henry ... Tennessee By U.S. Grant, January 1862]. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00281/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Capture of forts sic Henry ... Tennessee By U.S. Grant, January 1862]. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00281/>.