Maps Charleston S.C., A.D. 1864
About this Item
- Charleston S.C., A.D. 1864
- In this annotated detail from a printed map, the city of Charleston is delineated and Confederate fortifications along the Ashley and Cooper rivers are indicated. Also indicated is the area of the city that burned as a result of Union shelling.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Coast defenses--United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Charleston (S.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - South Carolina--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--South Carolina--Charleston Region
- - Color coding indicates the location of Confederate fortifications.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p.487).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 39 x 24 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Charleston S.C., A.D. 1864. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00284/. (Accessed January 24, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) Charleston S.C., A.D. 1864. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00284/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Charleston S.C., A.D. 1864. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00284/>.