Maps Map made at Andersonville Prison [Sept. 1864].
About this Item
- Map made at Andersonville Prison [Sept. 1864].
- This regional view locates the prison camp in relation to Columbia, Macon, and Milledgeville, Ga., as well as the town of Andersonville. Parts of bordering Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina are also indicated.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Andersonville Prison--Maps
- - Andersonville (Ga.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Georgia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons
- - United States--Georgia--Andersonville Prison
- - "This map was made at Andersonville prison, Georgia, Sepr. 1864 by R.K. Sneden then a prisoner there. It was copied from a map which hung in the house of a rebel farmer and this piece was cut out of it by one of the U.S. prisoners who escaped, but was soon recaptured. Copies of map were sold by R.K. Sneden to those who tried to escape for $5 Confed. money"--Page caption.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 305).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 15.5 x 11 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Map made at Andersonville Prison Sept. 1864]. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00305/. (Accessed September 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) [Map made at Andersonville Prison Sept. 1864]. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00305/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Map made at Andersonville Prison Sept. 1864]. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00305/>.