Maps The Rebel defences [sic] of Charleston, S.C., December 1864
About this Item
- The Rebel defences [sic] of Charleston, S.C., December 1864
- Shows in detail the Confederate forts along the Ashley and Cooper rivers, as well as obstructions in Charleston Harbor. Also shows the burned district of Charleston, where Union prisoners of war were kept within range of Union guns.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1864-1865].
- Subject Headings
- - Coast defenses--United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - Charleston (S.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - South Carolina--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons
- - United States--South Carolina--Charleston Region
- - "This map was made from personal observation while a prisoner of war Decr. 8-10th-11th-1864."--Page caption.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Confederate forts surrounding Charleston, S.C.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 388).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 32.5 x 21 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [The Rebel defences sic of Charleston, S.C., December 1864]. [S.l., to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00307/. (Accessed September 29, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) [The Rebel defences sic of Charleston, S.C., December 1864]. [S.l., to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00307/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [The Rebel defences sic of Charleston, S.C., December 1864]. [S.l., to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00307/>.