Map Camp Greble near Norfolk, Va. of the 99th N.Y.S.V. [September 2, 1862]
About this Item
- Camp Greble near Norfolk, Va. of the 99th N.Y.S.V. [September 2, 1862]
- Maynicke, Frank, d. 1864.
Created / Published
- [S.l. : s.n.], 1862.
- - Greble, John Trout,--1834-1861
- - Maynicke, Frank,--d. 1864
- - United States.--Army--Military life--History--19th century
- - United States.--Army.--New York Infantry Regiment, 99th (1861-1865)
- - Camp Greble (Norfolk, Va.)--Pictorial works
- - Norfolk (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Camp Greble (Norfolk)
- - United States--Virginia--Norfolk
- - Twenty-four locations are indexed including "Sutter & Gunmaker, "Photograph Shop," "House for Knapsacks," and "Bowling Alley." Tents of officers and various companies are identified as are cooking houses.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Camp Greble was named in honor of Lieutenant John Trout Greble killed at the Battle of Big Bethel, Virginia (June 10, 1861) and the first Union Army officer to die in the Civil War. In 1861, Frank Maynicke, a native-born Prussian, enlisted as a private in the New York State Volunteers (N.Y.S.V.). He was eventually transferred to Company F of the 99th N.Y.S.V., serving in the Union Coast Guard. In January 1864, he was captured near Smithfield, Va., and was a prisoner of war in Richmond, Va., and Andersonville, Ga.
- - Purchased from William Reese Company, New Haven, Conn., 14 November 2000. Accessioned 21 February 2001.
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : hand col., in part, drawn in pencil, index in ink ; 25 x 39 cm. on sheet 35 x 43 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Maynicke, Frank, D. 1864. Camp Greble near Norfolk, Va. of the 99th N.Y.S.V. September 2. [S.l.: s.n, 1862] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00398/.
APA citation style:
Maynicke, F. (1862) Camp Greble near Norfolk, Va. of the 99th N.Y.S.V. September 2. [S.l.: s.n] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00398/.
MLA citation style:
Maynicke, Frank, D. 1864. Camp Greble near Norfolk, Va. of the 99th N.Y.S.V. September 2. [S.l.: s.n, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00398/>.