Maps [Map of the siege of Suffolk, Va., 1863.]
About this Item
- [Map of the siege of Suffolk, Va., 1863.]
- Concerns the unsuccessful Confederate siege of Suffolk, Va., 11 April-4 May 1863, and indicates the location of Federal troops, railroads, roads, parade ground, breastworks, hospital, and forts, and the placement Federal gunboats in the Nansemond River.
- Contributor Names
- Allen, Orrin Sweet, 1826-1902.
- Created / Published
- [S.l. : s.n., 1863].
- Subject Headings
- - Siege warfare--United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Suffolk (Va.)--Maps
- - Suffolk (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Suffolk (Va.)--History--Siege, 1863--Maps
- - Virginia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Campaigns
- - United States--Virginia--Suffolk
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Orrin Sweet Allen papers, 1862-1865 (Mss2 AL543 a 1), Virginia Historical Society.
- - Orrin Sweet Allen was a carpenter from Harmony, N.Y., who served in Company H of the 112th New York Volunteer Infantry of the U.S. Army.
- - Gift of Roscoe N. and Betty A. Allen through the courtesy of Nelson F. Allen and Tracy L. Allen, Spring, Tex., 15 March 2002.
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : hand drawn in pencil ; 32 x 51 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Allen, Orrin Sweet. [Map of the siege of Suffolk, Va., 1863]. [S.l.: s.n, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00399. (Accessed February 13, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Allen, O. S. (1863) [Map of the siege of Suffolk, Va., 1863]. [S.l.: s.n] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00399.
MLA citation style:
Allen, Orrin Sweet. [Map of the siege of Suffolk, Va., 1863]. [S.l.: s.n, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00399>.