Book/Printed Material [ Facsimile of Keim manuscript]
About this Item
- [ Facsimile of Keim manuscript]
- Contributor Names
- Key, F. S. (author)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - United States -- History -- War of 1812 -- Poetry
- - Popular Songs of the Day
- - Songs and Music
- - national expansion and reform (1815-1860)
- - War and Conflict
- - Politics and Government
- - the new nation (1783-1815)
- - This copy of the Star spangled banner was written by Key in 1842 for his friend Gen. George Keim of Reading, PA. (Content)
- - Inscription at bottom: "to Gen. Keim."
- - Part of an assortment of uncatalogued clippings and photostats relating to the Star Spangled Banner, housed in the Music Division.
- 1 manuscript photostat, mounted on cardboard
- LC Classification
- M1630.3.S (case)
- Online Format
- manuscript | 1 manuscript photostat, mounted on cardboard | This copy of the Star spangled banner was written by Key in 1842 for his friend Gen. George Keim of Reading, PA. (Content). Inscription at bottom: "to Gen. Keim." Part of an assortment of uncatalogued clippings and photostats relating to the Star Spangled Banner, housed in the Music Division. Manuscript (Form).
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Copyright and Restrictions
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item.
Because of copyright laws, songs from the twentieth century may not be represented by very many items on the Web site. While every effort has been made to obtain permission to use these songs or portions of these songs, in some cases this has not been possible. Therefore there may be no recordings or paper items to illustrate those songs. In some instances, the rights' owner may have only granted permission to use a portion of the material online. In those cases, only 30-second excerpts of sound recordings are used, and only one or two pages of print or manuscript materials are used.
The use of U.S. Armed Forces sound recordings in no way indicates an endorsement of the Web site by any branch of the Armed Forces.
In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history. Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Music Division
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Key, F. S. Facsimile of Keim manuscript.  Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.100010478/.
APA citation style:
Key, F. S. (1842) Facsimile of Keim manuscript. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.100010478/.
MLA citation style:
Key, F. S. Facsimile of Keim manuscript.  Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.100010478/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Book/Printed Material[ Facsimile of first newspaper printing of The star spangled banner] 1 photostat of newspaper article | Published in the" Baltimore Patriot and Evening Advertiser." Part of an assortment of uncatalogued clippings and photostats relating to the Star Spangled Banner, housed in the...
- Contributor: [Key, Francis Scott] - Munroe & French
- Date: 1814-09-20
Book/Printed MaterialThe star spangled banner manuscript | 1 p. | Item contains an autographed manuscript of "The star spangled banner" in a red leather case. Also included are a portrait of Francis Scott Key, a copy of...
- Contributor: Key, Francis Scott
- Date: 1840
Book/Printed MaterialBoston patriotic song [Adams and liberty] Lyrics only -- tune called for is "To Anacreon in Heaven." Printed in "A collection of songs" (Charles Dibdin, compiler?), pages 326-328.
- Contributor: [Paine Jr., Robert Treat] - J. Bioren for H. & P. Rice
- Date: 1799
Book/Printed MaterialAdams and liberty "Adams and liberty" is written to the tune of the Anacreontic song, and this is believed to be the first American book publication of the music of that song. Published in "The...
- Contributor: [Paine Jr., Robert Treat] - [Smith, John Stafford?] - A. Wright, for D. Wright and Company
- Date: 1798
Book/Printed MaterialDefence of Fort M'Henry 21 x 17 cm | This is the first printing of Key's poem. B24 in Star spangled books.
- Contributor: [Key, Francis Scott]
- Date: 1814-09-17