Notated Music [ Library of Congress march (Sketches)]
About this Item
- [ Library of Congress march (Sketches)]
- Contributor Names
- Sousa, John Philip -- 1854-1932 (composer)
- Subject Headings
- - Marches (Band) -- Scores
- - Musical sketches
- - Parlor and Concert Stage
- - Songs and Music
- - great depression and world war ii (1929-1945)
- - Politics and Government
- - Items are four fragment pieces of the Library of Congress march which Sousa did not complete. Items include two sketches, a piano draft, and a full manuscript score for band.
- - Filed under folders entitled "Untitled cut-time march" in John Philip Sousa Collection.
- manuscript sketch
- 6 p., 13 1/2" x 11" ; 1 p., 17 1/2" x 11 1/4"
- Online Format
- manuscript sketch | 6 p., 13 1/2" x 11" ; 1 p., 17 1/2" x 11 1/4" | Items are four fragment pieces of the Library of Congress march which Sousa did not complete. Items include two sketches, a piano draft, and a full manuscript score for band. Filed under folders entitled "Untitled cut-time march" in John Philip Sousa Collection. Manuscript Sketch (Form).
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permission ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item.
Thanks go to the U.S. Marine Band Library External, for permission to reprint copies of Sousa Band tour books and to Paul E. Bierley for permission to reprint his biographical note and bibliography.
In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history. Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sousa, John Philip. Library of Congress march Sketches. Notated Music. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.100010805/.
APA citation style:
Sousa, J. P. Library of Congress march Sketches. [Notated Music] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.100010805/.
MLA citation style:
Sousa, John Philip. Library of Congress march Sketches. Notated Music. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.100010805/>.
More Notated Music like this
Notated MusicLibrary of Congress march Instrumental parts | 1 score (12 p.) + 23 parts ; 8 1/2" x 11" | Copyright 2003 by John Philip Sousa, Inc. (Copyright). Printed score and band parts. The march was...
- Contributor: Sousa, John Philip - Bulla, Stephen
- Date: 2003
Notated MusicArmy air corps march sheet music | 6p., 7 x 11 | "The U.S. Air Force" Words & Music by Robert Crawford Copyright © 1939, 1942, 1951 by Carl Fischer, Inc. Copyrights renewed. All Rights assigned...
- Contributor: Carl Fischer - Crawford, Robert
- Date: 1940
Notated MusicStars and stripes forever sheet music | 6 p. | Sheet Music (Form).
- Contributor: Sousa, John Philip
- Date: 1898
Notated MusicFanfare for the common man manuscript score | 4 p. of ms. music ; 34 cm. | Original manuscript score, in pencil. (c) Copyright 1944 by The Aaron Copland Fund for Music, Inc. Copyright Renewed. Used by...
- Contributor: Copland, Aaron
- Date: 1942
Notated MusicStar spangled banner musical score | 6 p., 17 x 11 in. | Chicago World's Fair version. Scanned from copy. Musical Score (Form).
- Contributor: [Smith, John Stafford] - Sousa, John Philip
- Date: 1892