Film, Video Katherine Dunham on "Shango"
About this Item
- Katherine Dunham on "Shango"
- - Shango (Choreographic work : Dunham)
- - Dunham, Katherine -- Interviews
- - Dunham, Katherine -- Teachings
- - Dancers -- Interviews
- - Dance teachers -- Interviews
- - Choreographers -- Interviews
- - Dunham Technique
- - In this series of clips recorded in September 2002, Katherine Dunham speaks about her influence on American dance; dance anthropology; her anthropological films; Shango; L’Ag’Ya; the Mazouk from L’Ag’Ya; the need for a Dunham Technique; breathing in Dunham Technique; the circle of energy; the concept of the “pole through the body” in Dunham Technique; the hand in Dunham Technique; the position of the arm in Dunham Technique; and the use of the foot in Dunham Technique. (Content)
- - Vicky Risner, Executive Producer; Terry Carter, Producer/Director; Beate Glatved, Assistant to the Producer; Thomas Hurwitz, Director of Photography with funds from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation to the Library of Congress for the documentation of Katherine Dunham’s dance technique. (funding)
- - KD Intv 1of3 (videorecording identifier)
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
There may be content that is protected and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item. In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses.
The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history.
Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Katherine Dunham on "Shango". Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200003842/.
APA citation style:
Katherine Dunham on "Shango". [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200003842/.
MLA citation style:
Katherine Dunham on "Shango". Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200003842/>.