Notated Music Raisins and almonds
About this Item
- Raisins and almonds
- Contributor Names
- Goldfaden, Abraham -- 1840-1908 (composer)
- Goldfaden, Abraham -- 1840-1908 (lyricist)
- Created / Published
- The London Hebrew Publishing Company, Mazin & Co. Ltd., London, n.d..
- Subject Headings
- - Popular music -- England
- - Jews -- England -- Music
- - Songs, Yiddish
- - Traditional and Ethnic Songs and Music
- - Songs and Music
- - Popular Songs of the Day
- - Immigration and Migration
- - From "Shulamith." "In a corner of the Holy Temple, the widow of Zion sits rocking her child to slumber. Hush, under your cradle is a pure white little kid/goat bringing good things. You will have raisins, almonds and honey; you will study Torah/Holy Writ, and have a sweet life. Now, sleep my baby." Over the decades, this lovely lullaby became enormously popular. Goldfaden adapted his song's chorus from the melody and poetry of a nineteenth-century East European Yiddish folk song, "Unter dem kinds vigeleh" ("Under the child's cradle".) Source: Heskes, Irene, Yiddish American Popular Songs, 1895-1950. (General)
- sheet music
- 4 p. ; 35 cm.
- African and Middle Eastern Division
- LC Classification
- Hebraic Section, Yiddish Sheet Music, Box 4 - 436
- Online Format
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permission ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item.
In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history. Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Goldfaden, Abraham, and Abraham Goldfaden. Raisins and Almonds. The London Hebrew Publishing Company, Mazin & Co. Ltd., London, n.d. Notated Music. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200155062/.
APA citation style:
Goldfaden, A. & Goldfaden, A. Raisins and Almonds. The London Hebrew Publishing Company, Mazin & Co. Ltd., London, n.d. [Notated Music] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200155062/.
MLA citation style:
Goldfaden, Abraham, and Abraham Goldfaden. Raisins and Almonds. The London Hebrew Publishing Company, Mazin & Co. Ltd., London, n.d. Notated Music. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200155062/>.
More Notated Music like this
Notated MusicShulamith sheet music | 32 p. ; 35 cm. | Sheet Music (Form).
- Contributor: Mazin & Co. Ltd - Goldfaden, Abraham - Perlzweig, Rev. A.
- Date: 1904
Notated MusicDie zauberin sheet music | 28 p. ; 35 cm. | Mirele's geburtstag (Mireleh's birthday)-- Hotzmach solo -- Das blinden-spiel (The blindfold game)-- Elend bin ich (I am alone)-- Der markt (The market fair)--...
- Contributor: Goldfaden, Abraham - Berman, I. R. - London Hebrew Publishing Company, Mazin & Co. Ltd - Russotto, H.
Notated MusicYankele geht in shul arain sheet music | 4 p. ; 35 cm. | "Little Yankel (Jacob) goes into the synagogue" from the opera "Keynig Akhasverus" ("King Ahasuerus".) Source: Heskes, Irene, Yiddish American Popular Songs 1895-1950. (General)....
- Contributor: Goldfaden, Abraham - The London Hebrew Publishing Company, Mazin & Co., Ltd - Garfinkel, A.
Notated MusicMidei schabos, midei chojdesch sheet music | 4 p. ; 33 cm. | From "Shulamith." Translated into Hebrew by Yakov Lerner. (General). Sheet Music (Form).
- Contributor: Goldfaden, Abraham - [S.N.]
- Date: 1920
Notated MusicKonig Ahasverus, volume 1 sheet music | 10 p. ; 35 cm. | Aufzug beim konig (Procession of the king)-- Hofdamen bei der Konigin (Court ladies with the queen); and "Krohnung Esther" ("Crowning of Esther") (Content)....
- Contributor: Hebrew Publishing Company - Goldfaden, Abraham - Russotto, H.
- Date: 1899