Violin by Antonio Stradivari, Cremona, 1700, "Ward." [Front and back views of complete, strung instrument]. Performing Arts Reading Room, Library of Congress.
The "Ward" acquired its name from J. Ward of London. Ward owned the violin for over 40 years; on his death it passed to the Hills. The violin next was Swiss-owned, before being returned to England, where it came into the possession of Nathan Posner. Posner sold both the "Ward" and the "Castelbarco" violins to Mrs. Whittall.
The "Ward" is especially beautifully preserved and shows Stradivari's transition from the long pattern seen in the "Castelbarco" to the later, widened pattern of the "Betts." The scroll varies from the majority of Stradivari's work because the quarter-cut direction of the grain is found in the front and back as opposed to the sides. The instrument has a grafted neck, by A. F. Moglie of Washington, D.C., in the 1950s and identified by an "A. F. MOGLIE" brand on the neck that was observed when the fingerboard was removed.