Film, Video Russian-American jazz summit featuring Cyril Moshkow and Larry Appelbaum
About this Item
- Russian-American jazz summit featuring Cyril Moshkow and Larry Appelbaum
- Appelbaum, Larry (performer)
- Moshkow, Cyril (performer)
Created / Published
- Library of Congress, 2009.
- - The Open World Leadership Center and the Library of Congress Music Division cosponsored the Russian-American Jazz Summit. Conversations on the American influence in Russian Jazz were led by two world-renowned jazz experts, Russian Cyril Moshkow and American Larry Appelbaum. Both of these experts have been involved with Open World Jazz delegations. (Content)
- - Recorded on September 30, 2009 (date)
- - Speaker Biography: In 1998 Cyril Moshkow became managing editor of Jazz.Ru, Russia's leading web conglomerate dedicated to jazz music. Besides writing for Jazz.Ru, Moshkow also writes for daily newspapers, general interest and entertainment magazines and monthly music magazines. Since 2000 he has served as Russian contributor to Down Beat, the world's most respected jazz magazine. In 2006 Jazz.Ru Magazine was launched making Moshkow its publisher and editor. He has taught music journalism at Moscow State University, his alma-mater, since 1991. Moshkow is also a science fiction writer having published three novels in Russia's largest publishing house, EKSMO Press. He has written the book "The Jazz Industry in America" (2008), which discusses the industry of jazz music in the United States and "The Jazz Greats" (2009), a book about jazz musicians. Moshkow travels extensively as a jazz journalist covering jazz festivals and other forms of jazz activity. (biographical)
- - Speaker Biography: Larry Appelbaum is a senior music reference librarian and jazz specialist in the Music Division at the Library of Congress. As a former sound engineer, he transferred, edited and mastered many classical, jazz and folk recordings for commercial release. As a critic, he is a contributor to the books "Jazz: The First Century" (William Morrow, 2000) and "The Encyclopedia of Radio" (Museum of Broadcast Communications 2003). He writes regularly for JazzTimes and other magazines and websites around the world, curates a jazz film series, and is a long time radio host on WPFW-FM in Washington, D.C. (biographical)
- videorecording ; 62 min.
- Music Division
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Appelbaum, Larry, and Cyril Moshkow. Russian-American jazz summit featuring Cyril Moshkow and Larry Appelbaum. Library of Congress, 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200185105/.
APA citation style:
Appelbaum, L. & Moshkow, C. (2009) Russian-American jazz summit featuring Cyril Moshkow and Larry Appelbaum. Library of Congress. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200185105/.
MLA citation style:
Appelbaum, Larry, and Cyril Moshkow. Russian-American jazz summit featuring Cyril Moshkow and Larry Appelbaum. Library of Congress, 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200185105/>.