Film, Video Conversation: Olli Kotekangas & Norman Scribner
About this Item
- Conversation: Olli Kotekangas & Norman Scribner
- Contributor Names
- Kortekangas, Olli (speaker)
- Scribner, Norman (speaker)
- Created / Published
- Library of Congress, 2011.
- - Composer Olli Kortekangas and Norman Scribner, artistic director of The Choral Arts Society of Washington discuss the composer's new work, "Seven Songs for Planet Earth," which has been described as "a statement about our relationship to the natural world and our human duty to respect and nurture our planet -- a universal message for all to understand and contemplate." (Content)
- - Recorded May 16, 2011 (date)
- - Speaker Biography: Olli Kortekangas (b. 1955) is one of the most popular Finnish composers of today. He studied music theory and composition at the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki under the direction of Einojuhani Rautavaara and Eero Hameenniemi, and continued his studies in West Berlin with Dieter Schnebel. Subsequently Kortekangas has worked as a teacher, including periods at the National Theatre Academy and the Sibelius Academy, and has taken part in a number of educational projects with children and youth, both in Finland and abroad. Throughout his career, Kortekangas has been interested in collaboration with other arts and artists. (biographical)
- - Speaker Biography: Considered an institution among his choral contemporaries, Norman Scribner is one of Washington's most versatile and respected musical figures. In 1965, Mr. Scribner founded The Choral Arts Society of Washington, and over the last 46 years has led and prepared the Choral Arts Chorus for numerous performances with the world's leading conductors and orchestras, television appearances, recordings and tours, performing the standard repertoire, world premieres, and new works commissioned by the Society. Through his work with Choral Arts and beyond, Norman Scribner's work has greatly influenced the quality of musical life in the nation's capital for the last 46 years. (biographical)
- videorecording ; 56 min
- Music Division
- Online Format
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kortekangas, Olli, and Norman Scribner. Conversation: Olli Kotekangas & Norman Scribner. Library of Congress, 2011. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196408/. (Accessed December 07, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Kortekangas, O. & Scribner, N. (2011) Conversation: Olli Kotekangas & Norman Scribner. Library of Congress. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196408/.
MLA citation style:
Kortekangas, Olli, and Norman Scribner. Conversation: Olli Kotekangas & Norman Scribner. Library of Congress, 2011. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196408/>.