Audio Recordings You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down The Wagon
About this Item
- You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down
- Other Title
- The Wagon
- Alternate Title
- The Wagon
- Contributor Names
- Harney, Benjamin Robertson -- 1872-1938 (singer)
- Harney, Benjamin Robertson -- 1872-1938 (composer)
- Gordon, Robert Winslow (recordist)
- Created / Published
- Library of Congress, 1978.
- Subject Headings
- - Ragtime music
- - Songs--United States
- - Pennsylvania
- - This is thought to be the first published ragtime song, published in 1895. The original sheet music was written for piano and voice. (General)
- - Not all the verses are included, so this performance was probably shortened in order to fit on the cylinder recording. (Content)
- - A blues song with a similar title, "You're a Good Old Wagon, But Daddy You've Done Broke Down," was written by Bessie Smith and Stuart Balcom, recorded by Columbia Records, 1925. (General)
- - Robert Winslow Gordon gives the title "The Wagon," but this is probably a note as it is not the published title. (Content)
- - Harney states at the end of the recording (not included in this presentation) "This is absolutely the first song published in ragtime; the first song ever written in ragtime. The idea was conceived by Ben Harney, in Louisville, Kentucky." (General)
- - This song was published on the Library of Congress long playing record, "Folk-Songs of America: The Robert Winslow Gordon Collection," in 1978, in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Archive of Folk Culture.. (source note)
- sound recording
- 1 cylinder.
- American Folklife Center
- LC Classification
- AFC 1928/002: AFS 19009 Gordon Cyl. G24, misc. 37
- Online Format
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permission ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item.
In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history. Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Harney, Benjamin Robertson, Benjamin Robertson Harney, and Robert Winslow Gordon. You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down. Library of Congress, 1978. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196487/. (Accessed February 26, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Harney, B. R., Harney, B. R. & Gordon, R. W. (1978) You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down. Library of Congress. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196487/.
MLA citation style:
Harney, Benjamin Robertson, Benjamin Robertson Harney, and Robert Winslow Gordon. You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down. Library of Congress, 1978. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196487/>.