Audio Recording You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down The Wagon
You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down
About this Item
- You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down
- The Wagon
- The Wagon
- Harney, Benjamin Robertson -- 1872-1938 (singer)
- Harney, Benjamin Robertson -- 1872-1938 (composer)
- Gordon, Robert Winslow (recordist)
Created / Published
- Library of Congress, 1978.
- - Ragtime music
- - Songs--United States
- - Pennsylvania
- - This is thought to be the first published ragtime song, published in 1895. The original sheet music was written for piano and voice. (General)
- - Not all the verses are included, so this performance was probably shortened in order to fit on the cylinder recording. (Content)
- - A blues song with a similar title, "You're a Good Old Wagon, But Daddy You've Done Broke Down," was written by Bessie Smith and Stuart Balcom, recorded by Columbia Records, 1925. (General)
- - Robert Winslow Gordon gives the title "The Wagon," but this is probably a note as it is not the published title. (Content)
- - Harney states at the end of the recording (not included in this presentation) "This is absolutely the first song published in ragtime; the first song ever written in ragtime. The idea was conceived by Ben Harney, in Louisville, Kentucky." (General)
- - This song was published on the Library of Congress long playing record, "Folk-Songs of America: The Robert Winslow Gordon Collection," in 1978, in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Archive of Folk Culture.. (source note)
- sound recording
- 1 cylinder.
- American Folklife Center
- AFC 1928/002: AFS 19009 Gordon Cyl. G24, misc. 37
Additional Metadata Formats
- Ragtime | Popular Songs of the Day | Musical Styles | Articles and Essays | The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America | Digital Collections
- Printable Timeline | 1850 to 1899 | Timeline | Articles and Essays | The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America | Digital Collections
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Harney, Benjamin Robertson, Benjamin Robertson Harney, and Robert Winslow Gordon. You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down. Library of Congress, 1978. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196487/.
APA citation style:
Harney, B. R., Harney, B. R. & Gordon, R. W. (1978) You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down. Library of Congress. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196487/.
MLA citation style:
Harney, Benjamin Robertson, Benjamin Robertson Harney, and Robert Winslow Gordon. You've Been A Good Old Wagon, But You've Done Broke Down. Library of Congress, 1978. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196487/>.