Audio Recording Yup'ik song about a vision of a sailing ship in 1777
Yup'ik song about a vision of a sailing ship in 1777
About this Item
- Yup'ik song about a vision of a sailing ship in 1777
- McIntyre, Chuna (director)
- Nunamta Yup’ik Eskimo Dancers (performer)
- McIntyre, Chuna (singer)
Created / Published
- Library of Congress, 2003.
- - Yupik dance
- - Yupik languages--Alaska
- - Alaska
- - Folk songs
- - Central Yupik language
- - Yupik Eskimos
- - Yupik Eskimos--Alaska--Music
- - contemporary america (1945-present)
- - Songs and Music
- - Chuna McIntyre explains the song in English, then sings it in Central Yup'ik. (Content)
- - The song concerns a vision of the arrival of Europeans in Alaska by a Yup'ik medicine man a year before the exploration of the Alaska coastline by Captain James Cook between April and September, 1778. The Yup'ik had little further contact with Europeans until the second half of the nineteenth century, as they live north of the areas favored by Russian fur traders. (Content)
- - Forms part of the Chuna McIntyre and the Nunamata Yup'ik Eskimo Dancers at the Library of Congress Collection. (source)
- - November 12, 2003. (date)
- - Homegrown Concert Series. (source)
- - Used by permission of Mr. Chuna McIntyre. (Copyright Notice)
- sound recording
- 1 audio file.
- American Folklife Center
- AFC 2003/049: SR01
Additional Metadata Formats
- Ritual and Worship | Musical Styles | Articles and Essays | The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America | Digital Collections
- Songs of Immigration and Migration | Historical Topics | Articles and Essays | The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America | Digital Collections
- Printable Timeline | 1759 to 1799 | Timeline | Articles and Essays | The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America | Digital Collections
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permission ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item.
In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history. Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mcintyre, Chuna, Nunamta Yup'Ik Eskimo Dancers, and Chuna McIntyre. Yup'ik Song About a Vision of a Sailing Ship in. Library of Congress, 2003. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196499/.
APA citation style:
McIntyre, C., Nunamta Yup'Ik Eskimo Dancers & McIntyre, C. (2003) Yup'ik Song About a Vision of a Sailing Ship in. Library of Congress. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196499/.
MLA citation style:
Mcintyre, Chuna, Nunamta Yup'Ik Eskimo Dancers, and Chuna McIntyre. Yup'ik Song About a Vision of a Sailing Ship in. Library of Congress, 2003. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196499/>.