Film, Video Stolen Souls from Africa Song of the Coffle Gang
About this Item
- Stolen Souls from Africa
- Other Title
- Song of the Coffle Gang
- Alternate Title
- Song of the Coffle Gang
- Contributor Names
- Seeger, Mike -- 1933-2009 (performer)
- Created / Published
- Library of Congress, 2007.
- Subject Headings
- - Antislavery movements--United States
- - Slavery--United States
- - Protest songs--United States
- - contemporary america (1945-present)
- - Songs and Music
- - Recorded at the Library of Congress (venue)
- - Forms part of the Seeger Family Tribute Collection (source)
- - A version of this song titled, "The Song of the Coffle Gang," was published in abolishionist song collections: The Liberty Minstrel, compiled by George Washington Clark in New York, 1844, and in The Anti Slavery Harp, compiled by William Wells Brown in Boston, 1849. (bibliographic history)
- - 4:3
- videorecording ; 3 min
- American Folklife Center
- LC Classification
- AFC 2007/006
- Online Format
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permission ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item.
In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history. Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Seeger, Mike. Stolen Souls from Africa. Library of Congress, 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197111/.
APA citation style:
Seeger, M. (2007) Stolen Souls from Africa. Library of Congress. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197111/.
MLA citation style:
Seeger, Mike. Stolen Souls from Africa. Library of Congress, 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197111/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe Candidate's a Dodger videorecording ; 4 min | Forms part of the Seeger Family Tribute Collection (Source). Recorded at the Library of Congress (Venue). 4:3
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Seeger, Peggy - Seeger, Mike - Seeger, Pete
- Date: 2007
Film, VideoDon't Say It Can't Be Done videorecording | videorecording ; 5 min | Forms part of the Seeger Family Tribute Collection (Source). Recorded at the Library of Congress (Venue). 4:3 Videorecording (Form).
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Seeger, Pete
- Date: 2007
Film, VideoAgustín Lira and Alma / Quetzal Cantos de mi Cantón (Songs from My Home), Chicano Music ... Two musical groups on one videorecording. videorecording | 1 videorecording | Homegrown Concert Series. (Source). September 14, 2011. (Date). Videorecording (Form).
- Contributor: Wells Solorzano, Patricia - Lira, Agustín - Knypstra, Ravi - Library of Congress - Quetzal (Musical Group : Los Angeles, Calif.) - Flores, Quetzal - Gonzales, Martha - Alma (Musical Group)
- Date: 2011
Film, VideoSeeger Family Concert Mike, Peggy, and Pete Seeger with the Short Sisters perform at the Library of Congress March 16, 2007. Forms part of "How Can I Keep From Singing": A Seeger Family Tribute symposium...
- Contributor: Short Sisters - Library of Congress - Seeger, Peggy - Seeger, Mike - Seeger, Pete
- Date: 2007
Film, VideoTake Me Out to the Ball Game videorecording | videorecording ; 3 min | Forms part of the Baseball Americana Symposium (Source). 4:3 Videorecording (Form).
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Taylor, David - Alstrom, Ed
- Date: 2009