Audio Recording Come by Here Kumbayah
Come by Here
About this Item
- Come by Here
- Other Title
- Alternate Title
- Contributor Names
- Gordon, Robert Winslow (recordist)
- Wylie, H. (singer)
- Subject Headings
- - Spirituals
- - Georgia
- - Sea Islands Creole Dialect
- - African Americans
- - Worship and Praise
- - Songs and Music
- - Cylinder recording. Some scratchy sounds. (source note)
- - Forms part of the Robert Winslow Gordon Cylinder Recordings Collection. (source)
- - Recorded in 1926. (date)
- - This is the first known recording of "Come by Here," a song that came to be known as "Kumbayah." (Content)
- - Sung in "Gullah," or Sea Islands Creole Dialect. (Content)
- sound recording
- 1 sound recording
- American Folklife Center
- LC Classification
- AFC 1928/002 (cyl. A389, Gordon 156)
- Online Format
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
- Spirituals | Ritual and Worship | Musical Styles | Articles and Essays | The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America | Digital Collections
- Songs of Immigration and Migration | Historical Topics | Articles and Essays | The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America | Digital Collections
- Printable Timeline | 1900 to 1949 | Timeline | Articles and Essays | The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America | Digital Collections
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permission ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item.
In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history. Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gordon, Robert Winslow, and H Wylie. Come by Here. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197143/.
APA citation style:
Gordon, R. W. & Wylie, H. Come by Here. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197143/.
MLA citation style:
Gordon, Robert Winslow, and H Wylie. Come by Here. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197143/>.
More Audio Recordings like this
Audio RecordingDeep Down in My Heart sound recording | 1 cylinder | Robert Winslow Gordon Cylinder Collection. (Source). March 19, 1926. (Date). This song was published on the Library of Congress long playing record, "Folk-Songs of America: The...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Givens, W. M. - Gordon, Robert Winslow
- Date: 1978
Audio RecordingJesus is My Only Friend sound recording | 1 cylinder | Robert Winslow Gordon Cylinder Collection. (Source). April 10, 1926 (Date). Spoken at the end of this recording: sung by Bessie Shaw, Oakhill, Georgia, April the tenth,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Gordon, Robert Winslow - Shaw, Bessie
- Date: 1978
Audio RecordingOl' Man Satan
Drive Ol' Satan Away sound recording | 2 cylinder recordings | Robert Winslow Gordon Cylinder Collection. (Source). April 12, 1926. (Date). According to Gordon, "This song was a favorite with Amelia, a slave brought to this...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Mann, Mary C. - Gordon, Robert Winslow
- Date: 1978
Audio RecordingGlory to God, My Son's Come Home sound recording | 1 cylinder. | Sung by J. D. Purdy in Gullah dialect. Robert Winslow Gordon Cylinder Collection. (General). Recorded by Robert Winslow Gordon near Darien, Georgia (Venue). Recorded ca. 1926....
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Purdy, J. D. - Gordon, Robert Winslow
- Date: 1978
Audio RecordingJesus Leads Me All the Way Gullah spiritual (ring shout) sung by Reverend Goodwin and the Zion Methodist Church congregation. Recorded by Henrietta Yurchenco in John’s Island, South Carolina, March 29, 1970. Henrietta Yurchenco / John’s Island Collection....
- Contributor: Choir of the Zion Methodist Church - Goodwin - Yurchenco, Henrietta
- Date: 1970