Film, Video This is what the union done [illustrated]
About this Item
- This is what the union done [illustrated]
- Contributor Names
- Jones, George (vocalist)
- Korson, George (recordist)
- Subject Headings
- - Traditional and Ethnic Songs and Music
- - Songs and Music
- - Popular Songs of the Day
- - Social Change
- - Work and Industry
- - great depression and world war ii (1929-1945)
- - Audio track from AFS 12010 (General)
- - Photographs from the LOC online collection (General)
- - Franklin Delano Roosevelt, head-and-shoulders portrait, facing left (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b36629) -- John L. Lewis at United Mine Workers Convention (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.29288) -- United Mine-Workers of America (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pga.01953) -- Coal miner, his wife and two of their children (note child's legs). Bertha Hill, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a39375) -- Coal miner's wife bringing home the groceries on payday from company store, Chaplin, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a39356) -- Picket's sign outside copper mine during strike. Ducktown, Tennessee (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a40874) -- Coal miners, Birmingham, Alabama (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a08349) -- As government moved to end strike (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b20938 ) -- Group of miners talking at Labor Day celebration, Silverton, Colorado (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a29564) -- Mrs. Lawrence Corda, wife of tiff miner, with some of her 800 quarts of food canned under supervision of FSA (Farm Security Administration). Washington County, Missouri (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8b19225) -- Butte, Montana. Miners' union meeting (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8d09260) -- Coal miners on steps of company store, Scotts Run, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a39244) -- Miner lifting coal car on to track. Company houses in background. Chaplin, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a39337) -- The working day (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsc.00795) -- Miners with their children at the Labor Day celebration, Silverton, Colorado (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a29486) -- Coal miner, six of his seven children. His wife is usually sick with a bad bronchial condition. Chaplin, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8c29875)-- Section of Rosedale Mining Company. Shanties by the river (burning slag pile to right). These used to be United Mine Workers barracks just thrown up to temporarily house men thrown out of company houses, during strike. Scotts Run, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a39304) -- Home of worker in strip coal mine. Cherokee County, Kansas (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8b38308) -- Coal miner's wife and three of their children. Company house, Pursglove, Scotts Run, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8c29859) -- Butte, Montana. Miners at a union meeting (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8d09257) -- Coal miner's family, Pursglove, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a39149) -- Coal haulers ask protection. (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b23649 ) -- Payday, coal mining town, Osage, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a39559) -- Some of the 500 persons in the Atlantic Camp during the Penn. Coal Strike (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3a24649) -- Young miner cashing check at commissary while another waits in line for his turn. Mogollon, New Mexico (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8b25517) -- Workers at mine receiving paychecks. Mogollon, New Mexico (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8b25525)-- Anthracite coal miner Andrew Scavicky of Hazelton, Pa., with his family (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b26137 ) -- Copper miners on strike waiting for scabs to come out of mines. Ducktown, Tennessee (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8c10610) -- Bohemian miners (coal loaders) unemployed since mechanization of mines. (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a39767) -- Miner at end of day's work. Mogollon, New Mexico (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a28813) -- Unemployed miner with food from surplus commodities corporation. Zeigler, Illinois (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8b17303) -- Miners talking at Labor Day celebration, Silverton, Colorado (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a29565) -- Miner's family on top of truck watching Labor Day contests, Silverton, Colorado (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a29571) -- Payday, coal mining town, Omar, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a38956) -- Miner's children all dressed up for Sunday school picnic. Jere, West Virginia (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8a39511) -- Group of striking union miners & the familys living in tents, Lick Creek, W.Va., [4/12/22 (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/npcc.30258) -- High school band at the miners' Labor Day celebration, Silverton, Colorado (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3c29926) -- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (vicinity). Montour no. 4 mine of the Pittsburgh Coal Company. Coal miner waiting to go underground (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8d23673). (Content)
- - From: The George Korson Collection of Songs of Bituminous Coal Miners (source)
- - Original sound recording source material is available at: http://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197194 (source)
- motion picture
- 1 video ; 5 min.
- Music Division
- LC Classification
- AFS 12010
- Online Format
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jones, George, and George Korson. [This Is What the Union Done illustrated]. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197878/. (Accessed July 24, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Jones, G. & Korson, G. [This Is What the Union Done illustrated]. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197878/.
MLA citation style:
Jones, George, and George Korson. [This Is What the Union Done illustrated]. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197878/>.