Film, Video The wreck of the Old 97 [illustrated]
About this Item
- The wreck of the Old 97 [illustrated]
- Contributor Names
- Lewey, Fred J. (vocalist)
- Gordon, Robert Winslow (recordist)
- Subject Headings
- - Work and Industry
- - Songs and Music
- - Popular Songs of the Day
- - Progressive Era to New Era (1900-1929)
- - Audio track from AFC 1928/002: AFS 18997 (Content)
- - Illustrations: View of Locomotive No. 17 heading northbound about 1.4 miles north of Orbisonia, on the narrow-gauge main line (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hhh.pa1798/photos.355882p) -- [Empire State Express, Utica, N.Y.] (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/det.4a19581) -- The fastest time on record (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b17702) -- [C H & D (i.e., Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton) train wreck below Dayton, Ohio] (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppprs.00520) -- [Harriman engine and Union Pacific(?) Railroad, at station, Salinas, Calif.] (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b44754) -- Tennessee Valley Authority. Railroad crews at Watts Bar Dam. A combination of long mechanical experience, practical railroad training and common sense is required for the job of running one of the big "hogs," or locomotives. This engineer handles a train which hauls materials for the building of TVA's Watts Bar Dam (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8b05790) -- Negro steelworkers. One of the many Negro operators of narrow guage locomotives that haul ingot and billet steel in the yards of a large East Coast steel mill is shown in the cab of his locomotive. Bethlehem Steel (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/fsa.8b03042) -- [Train engineer in his cab] (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3a42202) -- New York--Eagle Bay--Railroad station (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3c17082) -- [Wreck of train in foregrd. caused by an avalance at Wellington, Wash. Mar. 1, 1910] (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b13980) -- Maine Central Freight wreck (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b22971) -- G.O.C. visits overturned locomotive on the Jerusalem Lydda Railroad Line. (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/matpc.18930) -- "Black Diamond Express", at the speed of 55 miles an hour. Lehigh Valley R.R. (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3a44441) -- Wreck of teachers train (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.09162) -- The wreck of Old 97 at Stillhouse Trestle near Danville, Virginia, 1903. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Old97Wreck.jpg External). (Content)
- - From: The Robert Winslow Gordon Cylinder Collection (source)
- - Original sound recording source material is available at: http://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200196306 (source)
- motion picture
- 1 video ; 3 min.
- Music Division
- LC Classification
- AFC 1928/002: AFS 18997
- Online Format
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lewey, Fred J, and Robert Winslow Gordon. [Thewreck of the Old 97 illustrated]. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197907/. (Accessed December 11, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Lewey, F. J. & Gordon, R. W. [Thewreck of the Old 97 illustrated]. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197907/.
MLA citation style:
Lewey, Fred J, and Robert Winslow Gordon. [Thewreck of the Old 97 illustrated]. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200197907/>.