Photo, Print, Drawing Gray House, County Road, Connersville, Fayette County, IN
About this Item
- Gray House, County Road, Connersville, Fayette County, IN
- Contributor Names
- Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
- Gray, Hugh
- Jandoli, Liz, transmitter
- Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, sponsor
- Karp, Mort, field team supervisor
- Hunderman, Barry, field team
- Bruegmann, Robert, historian
- Barnard, Scott, field team
- Hall, Mark, field team
- Perlmutter, Richard, field team
- Boucher, Jack E., photographer
- Cigliano, Jan E., editor
- Created / Published
- Documentation compiled after 1933
- Subject Headings
- - houses
- - Indiana -- Fayette County -- Connersville
- - Significance: The Gray House was built ca. 1836-46, and is more sophisticated in design and appearance than most of the local vernacular constructed during this period. The rectangular brick structure is distinguished by a symmetrical five-bay facade articulated by giant pilasters, a recessed central entrance framed by fluted Greek Doric columns in antis, and topped by a low gable roof trimmed with a wide denticulated entablature, punctuated at regular intervals by elaborate cast-iron grille openings. Hugh Gray came to Fayette County from Vermont in the late 1810s, settling here in the 30s, becoming a prosperous farmer in the area. The house remained in the Gray family for more than eighty years, and has been excellently maintained since it was erected in the early 19th century.
- - Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-34
- - Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-49
- - Survey number: HABS IN-108
- - Building/structure dates: ca. 1846 Initial Construction
- Photo(s): 10
- Color Transparencies: 1
- Measured Drawing(s): 6
- Data Page(s): 8
- Photo Caption Page(s): 1
- Call Number/Physical Location
- HABS IND,21-CONVI.V,1-
- Source Collection
- Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
- Control Number
- Rights Advisory
- No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html
- Online Format
- Photo(s): 10 | Color Transparencies: 1 | Measured Drawing(s): 6 | Data Page(s): 8 | Photo Caption Page(s): 1
- Barnard, Scott
- Boucher, Jack E.
- Bruegmann, Robert
- Cigliano, Jan E.
- Gray, Hugh
- Hall, Mark
- Historic American Buildings Survey
- Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana
- Hunderman, Barry
- Jandoli, Liz
- Karp, Mort
- Perlmutter, Richard
The Library of Congress does not own rights to material in its collections. Therefore, it does not license or charge permission fees for use of such material and cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material.
Ultimately, it is the researcher's obligation to assess copyright or other use restrictions and obtain permission from third parties when necessary before publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections.
For information about reproducing, publishing, and citing material from this collection, as well as access to the original items, see: Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscape Survey (HABS/HAER/HALS) Collection - Rights and Restrictions Information
- Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html
- Reproduction Number: ---
- Call Number: HABS IND,21-CONVI.V,1-
- Access Advisory: ---
If Digital Images Are Displaying
You can download online images yourself. Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
HABS/HAER/HALS materials have generally been scanned at high resolution that is suitable for most publication purposes (see Digitizing the Collection for further details about the digital images).
If Digital Images Are Not Displaying
In the rare case that a digital image for HABS/HAER/HALS documentation is not displaying online, select images for reproduction through one of these methods:
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
Yes, the item is digitized.
Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be
viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some
cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of
Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights
As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Historic American Buildings Survey, Creator, Hugh Gray, Sponsor Historic Landmarks Foundation Of Indiana, Mort Karp, Barry Hunderman, Robert Bruegmann, Scott Barnard, Mark Hall, and Richard Perlmutter, Boucher, Jack E, photographer. Gray House, County Road, Connersville, Fayette County, IN. Connersville Fayette County Indiana, 1933. editeds by Cigliano, Jan E.Itor Documentation Compiled After. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/in0097/.
APA citation style:
Historic American Buildings Survey, C., Gray, H., Historic Landmarks Foundation Of Indiana, S., Karp, M., Hunderman, B., Bruegmann, R. [...] Perlmutter, R., Boucher, J. E., photographer, Cigliano, J. E. I., ed. (1933) Gray House, County Road, Connersville, Fayette County, IN. Connersville Fayette County Indiana, 1933. Documentation Compiled After. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/in0097/.
MLA citation style:
Historic American Buildings Survey, Creator, et al., photographer by Boucher, Jack E. Gray House, County Road, Connersville, Fayette County, IN. ed by Cigliano, Jan E.Itor Documentation Compiled After. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/in0097/>.