Non-Paid Young Readers Center Internship and Volunteer Program
- General Website: http://www.read.gov/yrc/
- Hosting Service Unit: Office of the Librarian
- Program Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interests/Areas of Study: Literature, all with interest and aptitude for librarianship, working with children and teens, history, research
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen; Permanent Resident; Visa Holder
- Application Period: Ongoing
- Application Notes: Apply at least 2 months in advance of tentative start date. Email the program contact for further information on application process. Email the Program Contact your resume, statement of interest (no more than 250 words), availability, and potential start and end dates.
- Compensation: Non-paid
- Academic Credit: The Library does not provide academic credit, but you may arrange with your school in advance to receive credit.
- Available Benefits: LC Internal Discounts
- Program Duration: Long-term. Volunteers: long term, 4 – 16 hours a week. Interns: Spring, Summer, or Fall/Winter semester, 16 – 40 hours a week.
- Qualifications: Over the age of 18; Interest in working with children and young adults in a library setting
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Young Readers Center Volunteer Program is designed for individuals interested in working with children and young adults in a library setting. Volunteers are expected to have some experience working with children in an educational setting, such as a library or classroom. The Library benefits by having both seasoned professionals and students who assist with public outreach, programming, collections, and promotion of the Library’s resources.