Audio Recording When you look in the heart of a rose When you look in the heart of a rose / The better 'ole
About this Item
- When you look in the heart of a rose
- Other Title
- When you look in the heart of a rose
- The better 'ole
- Tenor vocal solo, with violin, piano, and orchestra
- Contributor Names
- Methven, Florence: composer
- McCormack, John: vocalist, tenor vocal
- Bourdon, Rosario: instrumentalist, piano
- Pasternack, Josef: conductor
- Rattay, Howard: instrumentalist, violin
- Gillespie, Marian: lyricist
- Musical theater
- Popular music
- Source of original recording: Recorded Sound Section, Library of Congress.
- Rights Advisory
- Inclusion of the recording in the National Jukebox, courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment
- Online Format
- McCormack, John, performing. Bourdon, Rosario, performing. Rattay, Howard, performing. Victor 778. Matrix/Take: B-22690/2.
- Original Format
- sound recording
- Bourdon, Rosario
- Gillespie, Marian
- McCormack, John
- Methven, Florence
- Pasternack, Josef
- Rattay, Howard
The Library makes the sound recordings in the National Jukebox available pursuant to permission from the rightsholders. Under the Music Modernization Act, many of these recordings will begin entering into the public domain on January 1, 2022, when all recordings published prior to 1923 will enter the public domain and will be free to use and reuse. Recordings published between 1923 and 1946 are then protected for 100 years, and recordings published between 1947 and 1956 are protected for 110 years. In addition, some of the items in the Jukebox, such as the Victrola Book of the Opera, are currently in the public domain and free to use and reuse.
You are responsible for deciding whether your use of the items in this collection is legal. You will need written permission from the rightsholders to copy, distribute, or otherwise use copyrighted materials except as allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Some materials may be protected under international law. You may also need permission from holders of other rights, such as publicity and/or privacy rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, National Jukebox.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Methven, Florence: Composer, John: Vocalist McCormack, Rosario: Instrumentalist Bourdon, Josef: Conductor Pasternack, Howard: Instrumentalist Rattay, and Marian: Lyricist Gillespie. When You Look in the Heart of a Rose. 1919. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/jukebox-31908/.
APA citation style:
Methven, F. C., McCormack, J. V., Bourdon, R. I., Pasternack, J. C., Rattay, H. I. & Gillespie, M. L. (1919) When You Look in the Heart of a Rose. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/jukebox-31908/.
MLA citation style:
Methven, Florence: Composer, et al. When You Look in the Heart of a Rose. 1919. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/jukebox-31908/>.
More Audio Recordings like this
Audio Recording'Tis an Irish girl I love and she's just like you
Macushla | 'Tis an Irish girl I love and she's just like you McCormack, John, performing. Rattay, Howard, performing. Victor 784. Matrix/Take: B-23755/2.
- Contributor: McCormack, John - Dubin, AL - Ball, Ernest R. - Brennan, J. Keirn - Rattay, Howard - Pasternack, Josef
- Date: 1920-03-04
Audio RecordingThe first rose of summer
She's a good fellow | The first rose of summer McCormack, John, performing. Reitz, William H., performing. Reitz, William H., performing. Bourdon, Rosario, performing. Victor 762. Matrix/Take: B-22692/2.
- Contributor: McCormack, John - Kern, Jerome - Bourdon, Rosario - Reitz, William H. - Caldwell, Anne - Pasternack, Josef
- Date: 1919-04-16
Audio RecordingTulip time
Ziegfeld follies of 1919 | Tulip time Steel, John, performing. Bourdon, Rosario, performing. Rattay, Howard, performing. Victor 18588. Matrix/Take: B-23027/5.
- Contributor: Bourdon, Rosario - Stamper, Dave - Steel, John - Rattay, Howard - Buck, Gene - Pasternack, Josef
- Date: 1919-06-30
Audio RecordingThe love nest
Mary | The love nest | Mary. Love nest Steel, John, performing. Lapitino, Francis J. , performing. Bourdon, Rosario, performing. Rattay, Howard, performing. Victor 18676. Matrix/Take: B-24106/2.
- Contributor: Lapitino, Francis J. - Bourdon, Rosario - Pasternack, Josef - Harbach, Otto - Steel, John - Rattay, Howard - Hirsch, Louis A.
- Date: 1920-05-12
Audio RecordingWhen you're away
When you're away | The only girl Garrison, Mabel, performing. Bourdon, Rosario, performing. Victor 636. Matrix/Take: B-23751/4.
- Contributor: Bourdon, Rosario - Garrison, Mabel - Herbert, Victor - Pasternack, Josef - Blossom, Henry
- Date: 1920-04-28