Audio Recording When Buddha smiles Medley fox trot / When Buddha smiles / Drifting along with the tide
About this Item
- When Buddha smiles
- Other Title
- Medley fox trot
- When Buddha smiles
- Drifting along with the tide
- Jazz/dance band
- Contributor Names
- Gershwin, George: composer
- Paul Whiteman Orchestra : Musical group
- Whiteman, Paul: leader
- Brown, Nacio Herb: composer
- Popular music
- Source of original recording: Recorded Sound Section, Library of Congress.
- Rights Advisory
- Inclusion of the recording in the National Jukebox, courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment
- Online Format
- Paul Whiteman Orchestra , performing. Victor 18839. Matrix/Take: B-25674/2.
- Original Format
- sound recording
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library makes the sound recordings in the National Jukebox available pursuant to permission from the rightsholders. Under the Music Modernization Act, many of these recordings will begin entering into the public domain on January 1, 2022, when all recordings published prior to 1923 will enter the public domain and will be free to use and reuse. Recordings published between 1923 and 1946 are then protected for 100 years, and recordings published between 1947 and 1956 are protected for 110 years. In addition, some of the items in the Jukebox, such as the Victrola Book of the Opera, are currently in the public domain and free to use and reuse.
You are responsible for deciding whether your use of the items in this collection is legal. You will need written permission from the rightsholders to copy, distribute, or otherwise use copyrighted materials except as allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Some materials may be protected under international law. You may also need permission from holders of other rights, such as publicity and/or privacy rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, National Jukebox.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gershwin, George: Composer, Paul Whiteman Orchestra: Musical Group, Paul: Leader Whiteman, and Nacio Herb: Composer Brown. When Buddha smiles. 1921. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/jukebox-42562/.
APA citation style:
Gershwin, G. C., Paul Whiteman Orchestra: Musical Group, Whiteman, P. L. & Brown, N. H. C. (1921) When Buddha smiles. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/jukebox-42562/.
MLA citation style:
Gershwin, George: Composer, et al. When Buddha smiles. 1921. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/jukebox-42562/>.
More Audio Recordings like this
Audio RecordingThe hoodoo man
Fox trot | The hoodoo man Paul Whiteman Orchestra , performing. Victor 19339. Matrix/Take: B-29956/7.
- Contributor: Paul Whiteman Orchestra - Brown, Nacio Herb - Whiteman, Paul
- Date: 1924-05-09
Audio RecordingSouth Sea isles
Medley fox trot | South Sea isles | George White's scandals | She's just a baby Paul Whiteman Orchestra , performing. Ferera, Frank, performing. Victor 18801. Matrix/Take: B-25476/5.
- Contributor: Ferera, Frank - Paul Whiteman Orchestra - Whiteman, Paul - Gershwin, George
- Date: 1921-08-30
Audio RecordingDo it again!
Fox trot | Do it again! | The French doll Paul Whiteman Orchestra , performing. Ohman, Phil, performing. Victor 18882. Matrix/Take: B-26247/7.
- Contributor: Gershwin, George - Paul Whiteman Orchestra - Ohman, Phil - Whiteman, Paul
- Date: 1922-03-28
Audio RecordingSomebody loves me
Fox trot | Somebody loves me | George White's scandals Paul Whiteman Orchestra , performing. Shilkret, Nathaniel, performing. Victor 19414. Matrix/Take: B-30380/4.
- Contributor: Gershwin, George - Paul Whiteman Orchestra - Shilkret, Nathaniel - Whiteman, Paul
- Date: 1924-07-11
Audio RecordingFascinating rhythm
Fox trot | Fascinating rhythm | Lady, be good! Paul Whiteman Orchestra , performing. Perrella, Harry, performing. Grofé, Ferde, performing. Victor 19551. Matrix/Take: B-31554/2.
- Contributor: Gershwin, George - Paul Whiteman Orchestra - Perrella, Harry - Grofé, Ferde - Whiteman, Paul
- Date: 1924-12-29