Audio Recordings Swing low, sweet chariot
About this Item
- Swing low, sweet chariot
- Alternate Title
- Primitive Negro chant (Title descriptor)
- Contributor Names
- Tuskegee Institute Singers (vocal_group)
- Leroy Brown (tenor_vocal)
- Charles Edward Clayton (tenor_vocal)
- Alvin J. Neely (tenor_vocal)
- William J. Williams (tenor_vocal)
- William P. Smith (baritone_vocal)
- Alfred Taylor (bass_vocal)
- William Wiley (bass_vocal)
- Created / Published
- Victor, Camden, New Jersey.
- - Vocal (category)
- - Male vocal double quartet, unaccompanied (description)
- - For takes 3-5, the singers are listed as a quintet in Victor ledgers. Disc label shows double quartet.
- - Dixon/Godrich/Rye notes the 9/20/1915 session as taking place in New York City. Victor ledgers do not list a specific location.
- - Digitized at the Library of Congress Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation.
- - This recording is protected by state copyright laws in the United States. The Library of Congress has obtained a license from rights holders to offer it as streamed audio only. Downloading is not permitted. The authorization of rights holders of the recording is required in order to obtain a copy of the recording. Contact [email protected] for more information. (Copyright Notice)
- - Courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment and the National Jukebox Project. (Copyright Notice)
- - Victor 17890 (issue number)
- - B-16512/3 (matrix number)
- sound recording
- 1 10" disc recording.
- Duration: 03:12
- Access Condition
- Source of original recording: Recorded Sound Section, Library of Congress. Inclusion of the recording in the National Jukebox, courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment.
- Online Format
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Articles and Essays with this item:
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Tuskegee Institute Singers, Leroy Brown, Charles Edward Clayton, Alvin J. Neely, William J. Williams, William P. Smith, Alfred Taylor, and William Wiley. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. Victor, Camden, New Jersey, 1916. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/jukebox.4076/. (Accessed August 29, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Tuskegee Institute Singers, Leroy Brown, Charles Edward Clayton, Alvin J. Neely, William J. Williams, William P. Smith [...] William Wiley. (1916) Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. Victor, Camden, New Jersey. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/jukebox.4076/.
MLA citation style:
Tuskegee Institute Singers, et al. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. Victor, Camden, New Jersey, 1916. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/jukebox.4076/>.