Archived Web Site Internet Meme Database | Know Your Meme
About this Item
- Internet Meme Database | Know Your Meme
- Know Your Meme (KYM) is a website and video series which uses wiki software to document various Internet memes and other online phenomena, such as viral videos, image macros, catchphrases, internet celebrities and more. It also investigates new and changing memes through research, as it commercializes on the culture. Originally produced by Rocketboom, the website was acquired in March 2011 by Cheezburger Network. Know Your Meme includes sections for confirmed, submitted, deadpooled (rejected or incompletely documented), researching, and popular memes.
- Created / Published
- United States.
- Subject Headings
- - Memes
- - Folklore and Mythology
- Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., 20540 USA
- Source Url
- Access Condition
- - knowyourmeme.com (domain)
- - www.youtube.com/knowyourmeme (domain)
- - youtube.com/knowyourmeme (domain)
- Online Format
- web page
- Know Your Meme (KYM) is a website and video series which uses wiki software to document various Internet memes and other online phenomena, such as viral videos, image macros, catchphrases, internet celebrities and more. It also investigates new and changing memes through research, as it commercializes on the culture. Originally produced by Rocketboom, the website was acquired in March 2011 by Cheezburger Network. Know Your Meme includes sections for confirmed, submitted, deadpooled (rejected or incompletely documented), researching, and popular memes. Website. electronic | Electronic (Form).
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MODSXML Base Record
- MODSXML Supplemental Record
The Library of Congress is making its Web Archives Collection available for educational and research purposes. The Library has obtained permission for the use of many materials in the Collection, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law.
Many, if not all, of the websites in the collection and elements incorporated into the websites (e.g., photographs, articles, graphical representations) are protected by copyright. You are responsible for deciding whether your use of the items in this collection is legal. You are also responsible for securing any permissions needed to use the items. You will need written permission from the copyright owners of materials not in the public domain for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Some content may be protected under international law. You may also need permission from holders of other rights, such as publicity and/or privacy rights.
Researchers should consult the sites themselves for information about rights, contacts, and permissions. The catalog record for each archived website contains the specific information about the site known to the Library. Some sites in this collection may be restricted to onsite access only; see the Access Condition statement in each item record for more information.
The Library of Congress would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified on this website so that we may make the necessary corrections. In addition, if you are a copyright owner or otherwise have exclusive control over materials presently available through this collection and do not wish your materials to be available through this website, please let us know. To make a takedown request, please contact us via this contact form.
Not all content that the Library has archives for is currently available through the Library’s website. Limitations affecting access to the archived content include a one-year embargo period for all content in the archive. Content outside of the embargo period is updated and made available regularly. For more information visit the Web Archiving Program | For Researchers page.
Citing Resources in the Web Archive
Citations should indicate: Archived in the Library of Congress Web Archives at www.loc.gov. When citing a particular website include the archived website's Citation ID (e.g., /item/lcwa00010240). Researchers are advised to follow standard citation guidelines for websites, pages, and articles. Researchers are reminded that many of the materials in this web archive are copyrighted and that citations must credit the authors/creators and publishers of the works. For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
More about Copyright and Other Restrictions
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Internet Meme Database | Know Your Meme. United States, 2010. Archived Web Site. https://www.loc.gov/item/lcwaN0009692/.
APA citation style:
(2010) Internet Meme Database | Know Your Meme. United States. [Archived Web Site] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/lcwaN0009692/.
MLA citation style:
Internet Meme Database | Know Your Meme. United States, 2010. Archived Web Site. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/lcwaN0009692/>.
More Archived Web Sites like this
Archived Web SiteYTMND: You're the man now dog! ytmnd, an acronym for "You're the Man Now, Dog", is an online community centered on the creation of hosted memetic web pages (known within the community as fads, YTMNDs or sites) featuring...
- Date: 2006-10-31
Archived Web SiteMeme Generator Website. electronic | Electronic (Form).
- Date: 2012-07-25
Archived Web SiteReplygif.net - Reaction GIFs for every situation Website. electronic | Electronic (Form).
- Date: 2014-09-05
Archived Web SiteSearch Animated GIFs on the Web - Giphy Giphy, founded by Alex Chung and Jace Cooke in February 2013, is an online database and search engine that allows users to search for and share animated GIF files. This site contains...
- Date: 2013-12-20
Archived Web SiteBoing Boing: A Directory of Wonderful Things Boing Boing is a website, first established as a zine in 1988, later becoming a group blog. Common topics and themes include technology, futurism, science fiction, gadgets, intellectual property, Disney and left-wing...
- Date: 2002-09-07