Map Plan of grounds at Fort Norfolk showing location of magazine pier, &c., June 30th, 1860
About this Item
- Plan of grounds at Fort Norfolk showing location of magazine pier, &c., June 30th, 1860
- Cassell, Charles E.
- Browne, C.
Created / Published
- - Fortification--Virginia--Norfolk--Maps, Manuscript
- - Fort Norfolk (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps, Manuscript
- - United States--Virginia--Norfolk
- - "Forwarded to Governor Letcher With Report and Inventory of Public Property at Norfolk and Portsmouth October 19, 1861, Wm. H. Peters, Commissioner." Peters' report is Document 40 in: Journals and papers of the Virginia State Convention of 1861, v. 3, Documents (JK3925 1861 .A25 1966). Also mentioned: Plan of harbor of Norfolk and Portsmouth, by Cassell (G3884 .N6S5 1861 .C3).
- - Also shows, vegetation, vegetable garden, railroad, barracks and store house in ruins, "filling house for shells," and "house for filling cartridges and storing empty powder barrels."
- - Oriented with north toward the lower left.
- - Pen and ink, watercolor, and pencil.
- - Relief shown by shading.
- - This item is in the Map Collection of the Library of Virginia; please contact the Library's Archives Research Services department for more information.
- - Swem, C.E. Maps relating to Virginia, 905
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Sept. 2001, transferred, gift, ALE.
- 1 map : ms., col., encapsulated ; 63 x 97 cm.
- Library of Virginia Richmond, VA 23219-8000 USA vau For copies contact: Archives Research Services.
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cassell, Charles E, and C Browne. Plan of grounds at Fort Norfolk showing location of magazine pier, &c., June 30th. 1860. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000013/.
APA citation style:
Cassell, C. E. & Browne, C. (1860) Plan of grounds at Fort Norfolk showing location of magazine pier, &c., June 30th. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000013/.
MLA citation style:
Cassell, Charles E, and C Browne. Plan of grounds at Fort Norfolk showing location of magazine pier, &c., June 30th. 1860. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/lva0000013/>.