Manuscript/Mixed Material Diary of Horatio Gates Spafford
About this Item
- Diary of Horatio Gates Spafford
- Contributor Names
- American Colony (Jerusalem)
- Spafford, Horatio Gates, 1828-1888 (Author)
- Created / Published
- Unpublished journal, 1882
- Subject Headings
- - Spafford, Horatio G., 1828-1888
- - American Protestantism
- - Religious thought
- - Jerusalem--Religious pilgrimages
- - Millennialism--Palestine--History
- - Christian life
- - Bible--Prohecies--Jerusalem
- - American Colony in Jerusalem
- - Messianism
- - Jews--Palestine
- - Christian sects--Ottoman Empire
- - Manuscripts
- - Diaries
- - Palestine -- Jerusalem
- - Personal and religious introspection and notes on events in the first year of residence in Jerusalem of the American Colony founder. Sporadic handwritten entries in printed day-by-day diary, in ink and pencil. Blank pages not included in scanning.
- - Spafford wrote "Jerusalem, Syria" in his diary, referring to the large Eastern Mediterranean region of the Levant (which encompassed a large territory that later came to include the modern states of Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, and the Palestinian Territories).
- diary 6 1/8" x 4 1/8" closed
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Part I, Box 1, Folder 16: American Colony in Jerusalem
- Source Collection
- American Colony in Jerusalem Collection
- Manuscript Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress has reviewed the copyright status of the documents presented from collection and is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
The written permission of the copyright owners (and/or other rights holders) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for determining the legal status of an item and securing any necessary usage permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
For further information on permissions rights, please see our Legal Notices.
To cite illustration materials appearing in the framework of this site, please refer to repository, collection, and digital filename information provided in the captions of the individual items.
When citing individual essays or features in the framework, or searchable digitized primary materials included in this online presentation, please credit as follows: Library of Congress, Manuscript Division, American Colony in Jerusalem Collection. Please include digital filename and/or URL.
To inquire about reproductions of Manuscript Division items found in American Memory, contact the Library of Congress Duplication Services.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
American Colony, and Horatio Gates Spafford. Diary of Horatio Gates Spafford. Unpublished Journal, 1882. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/mamcol.021/.
APA citation style:
American Colony & Spafford, H. G. (1882) Diary of Horatio Gates Spafford. Unpublished Journal. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mamcol.021/.
MLA citation style:
American Colony, and Horatio Gates Spafford. Diary of Horatio Gates Spafford. Unpublished Journal, 1882. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mamcol.021/>.