Map Maps of Austria-Hungary.
About this Item
- Maps of Austria-Hungary.
- "In preparation for the peace conference that was expected to follow World War I, in the spring of 1917 the British Foreign Office established a special section responsible for preparing background information for use by British delegates to the conference. Maps of Austria-Hungary is Number 1 in a series of studies produced by the section, most of which were published after the conclusion of the 1919 Paris Peace Conference. The book contains a collection of 10 foldout maps. Eight of the maps are sheets from the General Map of Europe, compiled at the Royal Geographic Society under the direction of the Geographic Section of the General Staff, and printed in 1915 by the Ordnance Survey. On some of the maps, corrections were made in late 1918. The maps are of regions around eight major cities in or near the Austro-Hungarian Empire: Wien (Vienna, Austria), Krakau (Krakow, Poland), Jitomir (Zhytomyr, Ukraine), Milano (Milan, Italy), Triest (Trieste, Italy), Buda Pest (Budapest, Hungary), Bucuresti (Bucharest, Romania), and Sofiya (Sofia, Bulgaria). The other two maps are of the Curzolarian Archipelago off the coast of Dalmatia (present-day Korculan Archipelago, Croatia), and a map entitled "Hungary and Croatia-Slavonia (Sketch Map Showing Internal Divisions)." The first eight maps show the orientation of the subject city in relation to other major international cities, and all of the maps show scale in miles and kilometers." World Digital Library.
- Great Britain. Foreign Office. Historical Section, cartographer.
- Great Britain. War Office. General Staff, cartographer.
Created / Published
- London : H. M. Stationery Office, 1919.
- - Austria--Maps
- - Hungary--Maps
- - Austria
- - Hungary
- - Issued in portfolio.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Review when scan or object available.
- 1 loose-leaf atlas (10 folded leaves) : maps ; 21 cm
Call Number/Physical Location
- G1930 .G7 1919
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Great Britain. Foreign Office. Historical Section, Cartographer, and Cartographer Great Britain. War Office. General Staff. Maps of Austria-Hungary. London: H. M. Stationery Office, 1919. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/map46000384/.
APA citation style:
Great Britain. Foreign Office. Historical Section, C. & Great Britain. War Office. General Staff, C. (1919) Maps of Austria-Hungary. London: H. M. Stationery Office. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/map46000384/.
MLA citation style:
Great Britain. Foreign Office. Historical Section, Cartographer, and Cartographer Great Britain. War Office. General Staff. Maps of Austria-Hungary. London: H. M. Stationery Office, 1919. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/map46000384/>.