Film, Video Verbena Tragica
About this Item
- Verbena Tragica
- Contributor Names
- Soler, Fernando
- Torena, Juan
- Alcaniz, Luana De
- Lamont, Charles
- Columbia Pictures
- Cantabria Films
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Fiction films
- - Melodramas (Motion pictures)
- Fiction films
- Melodramas (Motion pictures)
- - Credits: Cast: Fernando Soler, Luana Alcaniz, Juan Torena, Pilar Arcos, Cecilia Callejo.
- - Summary: On the eve of Columbus Day festivities in New York, the boxer Mateo Vargas (Fernando Soler) is released early from a jail term he served after he struck a police officer. He returns home for a surprise reunion with his family, but his wife Blanca (Luana Alcaniz) faints. Mateo learns from her doctor that she is pregnant. Mateo is shocked, and knows that he cannot be the father. His trainer wants him to return to the boxing ring, but Mateo is too preoccupied with Blanca's infidelity. While he was in jail, Blanca had been seeing Claudio (Juan Torena), the fiancé of Mateo's sister Lola (Cecilia Callejo). When Lola tells her suspicions to her mother, she slaps Lola. Vargas confronts Blanca about her pregnancy, but she refuses to name the father. Mateo becomes obsessed with finding his wife's lover.
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 8355
- Source Collection
- AFI/Columbia Pictures Collection (Library Of Congress)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in this collection. Items not subject to copyright are free to use and reuse.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Soler, Fernando, Juan Torena, Luana De Alcaniz, Charles Lamont, Columbia Pictures, and Cantabria Films. Verbena Tragica. 1939. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00008355/.
APA citation style:
Soler, F., Torena, J., Alcaniz, L. D., Lamont, C., Columbia Pictures & Cantabria Films. (1939) Verbena Tragica. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00008355/.
MLA citation style:
Soler, Fernando, et al. Verbena Tragica. 1939. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00008355/>.