Film, Video The House I Live In
About this Item
- The House I Live In
- Contributor Names
- Sinatra, Frank
- RKO Radio Pictures
- Stordahl, Alex
- Maltz, Albert
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Fiction films
- Fiction films
- - Summary: Frank Sinatra, apparently playing himself, takes a "smoke" break from a recording session. He sees more than 10 boys chasing a Jewish boy and intervenes, first with dialogue; then with a little speech. His main points are that we are "all" Americans and that just one American's blood is as good as another, all our religions are equally to be respected. (The film was made to oppose anti-Semitism and racial prejudice at the end of World War II.) Sinatra sings two songs : "If you are but a dream" (words and music by Moe Jaffe, Jack Fulton, Nat Bonx; melody based on Anton Rubinstein's "Romance in E flat, Op. 44, No. 1," popularly known as "Rubenstein's Romance") and "The house I live in" (music by Earl Robinson, lyrics by Lewis Allan). "Frank Sinatra in brotherhood musical short from 1945 written by Albert Maltz, later blacklisted as leftist RKO Academy Award winner"--Summary from J. Fred MacDonald and Associates film inventory.
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 9167
- Source Collection
- Copyright Collection
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
- Inspiring Citizen Action with the National Screening Room
- Highlights of the 2018 Additions to the Library of Congress Online Resources
- Free to Use and Reuse: Selections from the National Film Registry
- Today in History - July 13
- Free to Use and Reuse: Public Domain Films from the National Film Registry | Free to Use and Reuse Sets
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sinatra, Frank, Rko Radio Pictures, Alex Stordahl, and Albert Maltz. The House I Live In. 1945. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00009167/.
APA citation style:
Sinatra, F., Rko Radio Pictures, Stordahl, A. & Maltz, A. (1945) The House I Live In. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00009167/.
MLA citation style:
Sinatra, Frank, et al. The House I Live In. 1945. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00009167/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe Hitch-Hiker
- Contributor: RKO Radio Pictures - Talman, William - O'Brien, Edmund - Young, Collier - Lovejoy, Frank - Lupino, Ida
- Date: 1953
- Contributor: Doniger, Benjamin - Puerto Rico. Division De Educacion De La Comunidad
- Date: 1956
Film, VideoThe Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress
- Contributor: United States Army Eighth Air Force - Wyler, William - Kern, Ed - Paramount Pictures, Inc
- Date: 1944
Film, VideoVerbena Tragica
- Contributor: Soler, Fernando - Cantabria Films - Columbia Pictures - Lamont, Charles - Torena, Juan - Alcaniz, Luana De
- Date: 1939
Film, VideoThe Making of an American
- Contributor: Hedlund, Guy - Worcester Film Corporation - Connecticut State Board of Education
- Date: 1920