Film, Video The Making of an American
About this Item
- The Making of an American
- Contributor Names
- Connecticut State Board of Education
- Hedlund, Guy
- Worcester Film Corporation
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Educational films
- - Fiction films
- - Silent films
- - Short films
- Educational films
- Fiction films
- Silent films
- Short films
- - Sound: This moving image content is silent, and was created without sound or a soundtrack.
- - Summary: An Italian immigrant arrives in America unable to speak English. Following disappointments and misfortunes, he takes language classes and ascends the ladder of success. Created as an education tool directed at industrial workers, this short drama was intended to help assimilate immigrants into mainstream culture, especially by encouraging them to learn English.
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 16771
- Source Collection
- AFI/Ruckdeschel (George) Collection (Library Of Congress)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Connecticut State Board Of Education, Guy Hedlund, and Worcester Film Corporation. The Making of an American. 1920. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00016771/.
APA citation style:
Connecticut State Board Of Education, Hedlund, G. & Worcester Film Corporation. (1920) The Making of an American. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00016771/.
MLA citation style:
Connecticut State Board Of Education, Guy Hedlund, and Worcester Film Corporation. The Making of an American. 1920. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00016771/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe great train robbery H38748 U.S. Copyright Office Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 1Dec1903; H38748. Justus D. Barnes (head bandit), G. M. Anderson (slain passenger, tenderfoot, and robber), Walter Cameron (sheriff). Camera, Edwin S. Porter, J.B. Smith,...
- Contributor: Anderson, Gilbert M. - Porter, Edwin S. - Museum of Modern Art Collection (Library of Congress) - Edison Collection (Library of Congress) - Marble, Scott - Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Barnes, J. D. (Justus D.) - Smith, James Blair
- Date: 1903
Film, VideoPreservation of the Sign Language
- Contributor: Veditz, George William
- Date: 1913
Film, VideoWithin Our Gates
- Contributor: Micheaux Film Corporation - Preer, Evelyn - Micheaux, Oscar
- Date: 1919
Film, VideoThe newlyweds After being jilted by their respective sweethearts, Dick Harcourt and Dora Dean have both become disenchanted with the opposite sex. Unknown to each other, they happen to share a seat on a...
- Contributor: Walthall, Henry (Henry Brazeale) - Barker, Florence - Henderson, Dell - Johnson, Arthur V. - Griffith, D. W. (David Wark) - Biograph Company - Bruce, Kate - Quirk, Billy - Sennett, Mack - Hart, Ruth ... Walthall, Henry (Henry Brazeale) - Barker, Florence - Henderson, Dell - Johnson, Arthur V. - Griffith, D. W. (David Wark) - Biograph Company - Bruce, Kate - Quirk, Billy - Sennett, Mack - Hart, Ruth - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Hedlund, Guy - Pickford, Mary - Harron, Robert - Powell, Frank E. - Nichols, George - West, Dorothy - O'Sullivan, Tony - Grandon, Francis J. - Egan, Gladys - Evans, Frank - Craig, Charles - West, Charles H. - Paget, Alfred - Pickford, Jack - Opperman, Frank - Robinson, Gertrude - Miller, W. Christy
- Date: 1910
Film, VideoMay Irwin kiss
Kiss From Maguire & Baucus catalogue: An osculatory performance by May Irwin and John Rice. The most popular subject ever shown. From Edison films catalog: By May Irwin and John Rice. They get...
- Contributor: Irwin, May - Heise, William - McNally, John J. - Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Rice, John C. - Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1896