Film, Video Within Our Gates
About this Item
- Within Our Gates
- Contributor Names
- Preer, Evelyn
- Micheaux, Oscar
- Micheaux Film Corporation
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Fiction films
- - Feature films
- - Silent films
- - Social problem films
- Fiction films
- Feature films
- Silent films
- Social problem films
- - Sound: This moving image content is silent, and was created without sound or a soundtrack.
- - Summary: Abandoned by her fiancé, an educated negro woman with a shocking past dedicates herself to helping a near bankrupt school for impoverished negro youths. Within Our Gates was created in response to The Birth of a Nation which depicted southern whites in need of the Ku Klux Klan to protect them from blood thirsty blacks. Micheaux shows the reality of Dixie racism in 1920, where a black man could be lynched for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 46435
- Source Collection
- AFI/Filmoteca Espanola Collection (Library Of Congress)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Preer, Evelyn, Oscar Micheaux, and Micheaux Film Corporation. Within Our Gates. 1919. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00046435/.
APA citation style:
Preer, E., Micheaux, O. & Micheaux Film Corporation. (1919) Within Our Gates. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00046435/.
MLA citation style:
Preer, Evelyn, Oscar Micheaux, and Micheaux Film Corporation. Within Our Gates. 1919. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00046435/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe Italian
Dago Beppo, an Italian gondolier, is in love with Annette, who has another suitor, wealthy but much older. Her father gives Beppo a year to prove himself, so he emigrates to New York...
- Contributor: Beban, George - Paramount Pictures Corporation - Ince, Thomas H. - New York Motion Picture Corp - Williams, Clara - Barker, Reginald - Burke, J. Frank (John Franklin) - Sullivan, C. Gardner - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1915
- Contributor: Keller, Helen - Sullivan, Annie - Miller, Francis Trevelyn - Platt, George Foster
- Date: 1919
Film, VideoA corner in wheat A greedy tycoon decides, on a whim, to corner the world market in wheat. This doubles the price of bread, forcing the grain's producers into charity lines and further into poverty. Shows...
- Contributor: Walthall, Henry (Henry Brazeale) - Johnson, Arthur V. - Griffith, D. W. (David Wark) - Biograph Company - Bruce, Kate - Quirk, Billy - Sennett, Mack - Hart, Ruth - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Bitzer, G. W. ... Walthall, Henry (Henry Brazeale) - Johnson, Arthur V. - Griffith, D. W. (David Wark) - Biograph Company - Bruce, Kate - Quirk, Billy - Sennett, Mack - Hart, Ruth - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Bitzer, G. W. - Kirkwood, James - Macpherson, Jeanie - Moore, Owen - Harron, Robert - Nichols, George - West, Dorothy - Woods, Frank E. - O'Sullivan, Tony - Haldeman, Edith - Powell, Frank E. - Arvidson, Linda - Norris, Frank - Egan, Gladys - Butler, William J. - Dillon, Edward - Craig, Charles - Mailes, Charles H. (Charles Hill) - Sweet, Blanche - Henderson, Grace - Robinson, Gertrude - Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress) - Miller, W. Christy - Evans, Frank
- Date: 1909
Film, VideoThe Making of an American
- Contributor: Hedlund, Guy - Worcester Film Corporation - Connecticut State Board of Education
- Date: 1920
Film, VideoThe Hitch-Hiker
- Contributor: RKO Radio Pictures - Talman, William - O'Brien, Edmund - Young, Collier - Lovejoy, Frank - Lupino, Ida
- Date: 1953