Film, Video The Forgotten Frontier
About this Item
- The Forgotten Frontier
- Contributor Names
- Frontier Nursing Service
- Breckinridge, Mary
- Breckinridge, Marvin
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Nonfiction films
- - Documentary films
- - Feature films
- Nonfiction films
- Documentary films
- Feature films
- - Sound: This moving image content is silent, and was created without sound or a soundtrack.
- - Summary: This is a documentary about the Frontier Nursing Service (FNS), which provides medical assistance to the people of the Appalachian mountain area. The FNS focuses on medical care for women and children. A group of people arrive at Hazard, Kentucky to observe the FNS in action. Mary Breckinridge, founder of the FNS, takes them by car and horse to the Wendover Center, the regional headquarters. She tells them of the work of the FNS. They operate from various centers located in this part of Kentucky, such as the Caroline Butler Atwood Memorial Center and the Possum Bend Center. Nurses travel by horse through all kinds of weather to reach their patients. The nurses give inoculation shots to children and adults at a schoolhouse. A man brings two sick newborns to the hospital of the FNS in Hyden for treatment. A nurse delivers a baby. The nurses take care of their horses. Two men meet in the woods. One accuses the other of shooting his brother and then shoots him. A boy finds the wounded man and gets a nurse. Several men carry the man to the Hyden Hospital. A doctor is summoned, and the man recovers. The observers have learned much about the care provided by the FNS.
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 62166
- Source Collection
- Patterson (Jefferson, Mrs.) Collection (Library Of Congress)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Frontier Nursing Service, Mary Breckinridge, and Marvin Breckinridge. The Forgotten Frontier. 1930. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00062166/.
APA citation style:
Frontier Nursing Service, Breckinridge, M. & Breckinridge, M. (1930) The Forgotten Frontier. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00062166/.
MLA citation style:
Frontier Nursing Service, Mary Breckinridge, and Marvin Breckinridge. The Forgotten Frontier. 1930. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00062166/>.