Film, Video Village School
About this Item
- Village School
- Contributor Names
- Shaw, Alexander
- Strand Film Company Limited
- Great Britain. Ministry of Information
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Educational films
- Educational films
- - Summary: One woman's account of life as a teacher in a small rural school during World War II "This film is a tribute to Britain's women teachers, standard bearers of an education Nazi-ism would destroy and it tells of one tiny village school typical of hundreds, at Ashley Green in the leafy countryside of Buckinghamshire." "1940 film salutes British grade-school teachers whom Nazism would destroy--shows the daily routine of school teachers at primary school in Buckinghamshire and notes the effects of World War II upon English children-- shows how British children from urban areas were cared for during the scare of the Nazi Blitz over London during World War II--children shown getting an education in schools in the countryside and farms--children spell out 'FREEDOM' in large letters on the ground using fruits and vegetables"--Summary from J. Fred MacDonald and Associates film inventory.
- - Credits: Commentary spoken by Mrs. James, headmistress of Ashley Green School.
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 1848088
- Source Collection
- Macdonald (J. Fred And Leslie W.) Collection (Library Of Congress)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Shaw, Alexander, Strand Film Company Limited, and Great Britain. Ministry Of Information. Village School. 1940. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs01848088/.
APA citation style:
Shaw, A., Strand Film Company Limited & Great Britain. Ministry Of Information. (1940) Village School. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs01848088/.
MLA citation style:
Shaw, Alexander, Strand Film Company Limited, and Great Britain. Ministry Of Information. Village School. 1940. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mbrs01848088/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoBooked for Safekeeping.
- Date: 1960
Film, VideoReclaiming American History From Paper Rolls by the Renovare Process
- Contributor: Primrose Productions - Niver, Kemp R.
- Date: 1953
Film, VideoRadio and Television
- Contributor: Burton Holmes Films (Chicago, Ill.) - Vocational Guidance Films, Inc - Twogood, Arthur P.
- Date: 1940
Film, VideoPreservation of the Sign Language
- Contributor: Veditz, George William
- Date: 1913
Film, VideoFor Health and Happiness
- Contributor: United States Department of Agriculture - Cornell University - Monsch, Helen
- Date: 1941