Film, Video [Liza Minnelli's Birthday Party & Other Films--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies]
About this Item
- [Liza Minnelli's Birthday Party & Other Films--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies]
- Contributor Names
- Gershwin, Ira
- Minnelli, Liza
- Garland, Judy
- Arlen, Harold
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Amateur films
- Amateur films
- - Sound Note: This moving image content is silent, and was created without sound or a soundtrack.
- - Summary: This contains 5 reels of film taken of Liza Minnelli's 2nd or 3rd birthday party, plus additional home movies highlighting Harold Arlen. Ira Gershwin is the godfather of Liza Minnelli and he and his wife Leonore Gershwin hosted Liza's early birthday parties at his home at 1021 Roxbury Drive in Beverly Hills. Segment descriptions: 1. (00:00-01:27). A red train/bus gives rides to the party attendees that picks up at the curb in front of Ira and Leonore Gershwin's home at 1021 Roxbury Drive in Beverly Hills. Ira and Leonore Gershwin can be seen on the bus with the kids. Judy Garland can be seen waving from the sidewalk, and then walking away with Liza. Followed by Liza with cotton candy. 2. (02:00-03:27). Liza playing outside on a balcony with a spinning top. 3. (04:02- 05:30). Curbside on the sidewalk at 1021 Roxbury Drive in Beverly Hills, kids can be seen getting off the red train, and then more kids/adults getting on the train. Followed by footage of a man making cotton candy for the kids. 4. (06:03-07:29). Kids sitting at a decorated table with party hats, gifts, and balloons. The kids eat lunch, including Liza, with Judy Garland nearby. 5. (08:07-09:34). Liza playing with a woman (nanny?) on the edge of the lily pond at Beverly Hills Garden Park at Wilshire/Santa Monica Blvd. Next is more footage of the red train and a yellow double decker bus (Tinker Toys Transit Lines). The kids (including Liza) can be seen getting on the yellow bus and going for a ride. Next Liza can be seen on the red train with Judy leaning in and giving her a kiss. The following segments were possibly filmed at a different event/time: 6. (10:12-11:38). Liza can be seen playing outside with a black dog. Close-up footage of a Christmas tree. Followed by footage that is too dark to provide description. Ends with Liza playing outside on a balcony with her hair in curlers, wearing a pink dress and holding a Brownie camera.. 7. (12:20-15:15). Curbside at 1021 Roxbury Drive in Beverly Hills, Sid Luft approaches the camera wearing a dark gray suit and striped gray and white tie, left hand clutching the open suit jacket. Outside on the patio, Sid Luft, sitting with cigarette in hand and Ira Gershwin, standing, look over a piece of paper Harold Arlen, sitting with left leg crossed over his right, is showing them. Judy Garland and Anya Arlen, who lights up a cigarette, can be seen sitting on the lawn under a tree. Harold Arlen is then seen sitting on the lawn next to Judy Garland drinking ice tea. Next, Harold Arlen is seen lounging on the grass with Anya Arlen and the two kiss and wave to the camera. Judy and Anya are next seen playing tennis. Next, Judy in pink hat poses for the camera with Anya and Leonore Gershwin, in sun glasses and with cigarette in hand. Next, Roger Edens and Harold Arlen walk in front of the Irving Thalberg building on the MGM lot. Next is footage of Arthur Freed indoors pointing to the book St. Louis Woman with Harold Arlen. Arlen quickly holds up a picture of an orchid. Unidentified man dancing at end of the segment.
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 2062159
- Source Collection
- Gershwin Trust Collection (Library Of Congress)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gershwin, Ira, Liza Minnelli, Judy Garland, and Harold Arlen. Liza Minnelli's Birthday Party & Other Films--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies. 1948. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02062159/.
APA citation style:
Gershwin, I., Minnelli, L., Garland, J. & Arlen, H. (1948) Liza Minnelli's Birthday Party & Other Films--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02062159/.
MLA citation style:
Gershwin, Ira, et al. Liza Minnelli's Birthday Party & Other Films--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies. 1948. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02062159/>.