Film, Video [Gershwins, 1936-1939--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies].
About this Item
- [Gershwins, 1936-1939--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies].
- Contributor Names
- Gershwin, Ira
- Minnelli, Vincente
- Gershwin, George
- Hellman, Lillian
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Amateur films
- Amateur films
- - Sound: This moving image content is silent, and was created without sound or a soundtrack.
- - Summary: Collection of home movies featuring George and Ira Gershwin. All segments in color except where noted. 1. Group walking in the hills, group includes Vincente Minnelli, Moss Hart, Helen Broderick, Alma Hearst, Ira Gershwin, and Tony (George Gershwin's dog) 2. Close up of Ira Gershwin, Leonore Gershwin outside in the garden, footage of their workroom at 1019 North Roxbury Drive 3. Exterior shots of house, group relaxing poolside. Woman in swim cap is Benita Hume 4. Rouben Mamoulian and George Gershwin playing tennis. George is later joined by Simone Simon. The Gershwins' agent Arthur Lions can also be seen 5. Group sitting poolside. George Gershwin and Simone Simon are seen eating, the rest of the group includes Rouben Mamoulian, E. Y. "Yip" Harburg (white t-shirt), and Harold Arlen (shirtless). Ira Gershwin eats with Harold. 6. Party for Spain, ca. 1939. Party attendees include Ira Gershwin, Ted Koehler, Lionel Stander, Anya Arlen, Golly Hayes, Johnny Green, Betty Furness, and Harry Warren with his wife Jo. 7. Kolisch Quartet and their wives at 1019 North Roxbury Drive playing handball. Rudolph Kolisch and George Gershwin pose. George is also seen with his mother Rose. Later George poses with Gertrud and Arnold Schoenberg 8. Oscar Levant plays piano. Later Oscar appears outside with George Pallay. George and Ira Gershwin seen smoking pipes and working together. George works on a portrait of Jerome Kern 9. More footage of the Kolisch Quartet with George Gershwin and Arnold Schoenberg 10. Group relaxing poolside. Group includes George Gershwin, Frances Gershwin (his sister), Leonore Gershwin (Ira's wife), and Rose Gershwin (their mother). Rose can be seen leaning out a window 11. Yip Harburg, Ira & Leonore Gershwin, and George Gershwin at the Salton Sea. George and Yip are later seen driving a Cord convertible 12. Lou Paley golfing with Ira and George on East coast 13. George Gershwin and Paulette Goddard in Palm Springs. Paulette can be seen talking with her mother 14. Breakfast at 1019 N. Roxbury Drive, ca. 1936. Large party, some attendees include Harry Botkin (their cousin), Anya Arlen, Moss Hart, Vincente Minnelli, Lillian Hellman, Dashiell Hammett (very briefly in background), Ira Gershwin, and Harold Arlen 15. (B&W) Carol Frick, the Gershwins' secretary 16. (B&W and color mix) Fred Astaire on set of Shall we dance, practicing/performing Slap that bass. Screenwriter Ernest Pagano (glasses) and director Mark Sandrich (hat) can be seen 17. Rose Bowl football game. Marching band performs, Ginger Rogers can be seen in the crowd looking at the camera 18. (B&W) Opening night party for Porgy & Bess, 1935. Party attendees include George Gershwin, Rouben Mamoulian, Kay Swift, Anne Brown, Alexander Smallens, and the original cast. Footage of cast relaxing, rehearsing/performing on stage 19. Oil painting of George Gershwin by Ted Koehler
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 2062506
- Source Collection
- Gershwin Trust Collection (Library Of Congress)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gershwin, Ira, Vincente Minnelli, George Gershwin, and Lillian Hellman. Gershwins, -1939--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies. 1936. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02062506/.
APA citation style:
Gershwin, I., Minnelli, V., Gershwin, G. & Hellman, L. (1936) Gershwins, -1939--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02062506/.
MLA citation style:
Gershwin, Ira, et al. Gershwins, -1939--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies. 1936. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02062506/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, Video[Ira at Piano; Paintings--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies].
- Contributor: Gershwin, Ira
- Date: 1964
Film, Video[Ira Sitting Outside--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies].
- Contributor: Gershwin, Ira
- Date: 1939
Film, Video[Paulette Goddard?, George Gershwin in Palm Springs--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies].
- Contributor: Gershwin, George - Goddard, Paulette
- Date: 1937
Film, Video[Schoenberg and Kolisch Quartet Playing Handball; Group Walking in the Hills--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies].
- Contributor: Schoenberg, Arnold - Minnelli, Vincente - Gershwin, Ira - Hart, Moss
Film, Video[Liza Minnelli's Birthday Party & Other Films--Ira Gershwin--Home Movies]
- Contributor: Garland, Judy - Arlen, Harold - Minnelli, Liza - Gershwin, Ira
- Date: 1948