Film, Video Trance and Dance in Bali
About this Item
- Trance and Dance in Bali
- Contributor Names
- Mead, Margaret
- Bateson, Gregory
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Ethnographic films
- Ethnographic films
- - Summary: A performance of the kris dance, a Balinese ceremonial dance which dramatizes the never-ending struggle between the witch and the dragon--the death-dealing and the life-protecting--as it is given in the village of Pagoetan in 1937-1939. Dancers go into violent trance seizures and turn their krisses (daggers) against their breasts without injury. Consciousness is restored with incense and holy water. Balinese music forms a background for Dr. Margaret Mead's narration.
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 2425201
- Source Collection
- Foerstel (Lenora) Collection (Library Of Congress)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in this collection. Items not subject to copyright are free to use and reuse.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mead, Margaret, and Gregory Bateson. Trance and Dance in Bali. 1951. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02425201/. (Accessed January 16, 2018.)
APA citation style:
Mead, M. & Bateson, G. (1951) Trance and Dance in Bali. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02425201/.
MLA citation style:
Mead, Margaret, and Gregory Bateson. Trance and Dance in Bali. 1951. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02425201/>.