Manuscript/Mixed Material Page of Abraham Lincoln's student sum book, ca. 1824-26.
About this Item
- Page of Abraham Lincoln's student sum book, ca. 1824-26.
- Created / Published
- ca. 1824-26
- Subject Headings
- - Education
- - Presidents
- - Lincoln, Abraham (1809-1865)
- - Herndon, William Henry (1818-1891)
- - Lincoln, Sarah Bush Johnston (1788-1869)
- - Mathematics
- - Manuscripts
- - Reproduction number: A48 (color slide; front); A49 (color slide; verso); LC-MSS-25791-2 (B&W negatives; front and verso)
- - In his autobiography, President Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) claimed that the aggregate of all his formal schooling did not amount to one year. His teachers in the pioneer schools of Indiana probably did not have access to an arithmetic textbook, using instead the mathematical problems found in handbooks such as Thomas Dilworth's Schoolmaster's Assistant. Paper was also scarce, and students often did their calculations (or ciphers) on boards, which they could shave clean and reuse. Lincoln, however, apparently managed to acquire a few sheets of paper that he sewed together to form a small mathematical notebook.
- - The self-made notebook was given to Lincoln's law partner and biographer William H. Herndon (1818-1891) by the president's stepmother Sarah Bush Johnston Lincoln (1788-1869). The sheets were subsequently dispersed, and the whereabouts of some pages are unknown. The Library of Congress acquired the two pages (one leaf) exhibited here as part of its Herndon-Weik Collection of Lincolniana. They are considered the earliest extant Lincoln manuscripts and are especially noteworthy because of the signature contained in the verse in the lower left-hand corner: Abraham Lincoln / his hand and pen / he will be good but / [god] knows When
- Source Collection
- Herndon-Weik Collection of Lincolniana
- Manuscript Division
- Online Format
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Page of Abraham Lincoln's student sum book, -26. -26, 1824. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/mcc.022/.
APA citation style:
(1824) Page of Abraham Lincoln's student sum book, -26. -26. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mcc.022/.
MLA citation style:
Page of Abraham Lincoln's student sum book, -26. -26, 1824. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mcc.022/>.
More Manuscripts/Mixed Material like this
CollectionHerndon-Weik collection of Lincolniana, Collection composed of the papers of Lincoln, Herndon, and Weik, records (1933) of The Weik Manuscript Corporation, and miscellaneous material collected chiefly by Herndon and Weik for use in writing Herndon's Lincoln:...
- Contributor: Weik, Jesse William - Herndon, William Henry - Lincoln, Abraham
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialBill to Foreclose Mortgage in Kingsbury v. Shelton et al, [Law papers].
- Contributor: Herndon, William Henry
- Date: 1858-10-07