Top of page

Manuscript/Mixed Material Watercolors of Civil War ironclads by Ens. D. M. N. Stouffer, ca. 1864-65.

About this Item

Title

  • Watercolors of Civil War ironclads by Ens. D. M. N. Stouffer, ca. 1864-65.

Created / Published

  • ca. 1864-65

Headings

  • -  Artists
  • -  Naval officers
  • -  Boats and boating
  • -  Civil War, 1861-1865
  • -  Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson) (1822-1885)
  • -  Painters
  • -  Watercolor painting
  • -  A. O. Tyler
  • -  (Ship)
  • -  Aleck Scott
  • -  Alexandria
  • -  Argosy
  • -  Choctaw
  • -  Eastport
  • -  Essex
  • -  General Price
  • -  General Sterling Price
  • -  Lafayette
  • -  Laurent Millaudon
  • -  Mississippi Squadron
  • -  Naval warfare
  • -  New Era
  • -  Oneota
  • -  Osage
  • -  Porter, David D. (David Dixon) (1813-1891)
  • -  Ships
  • -  St. Clair
  • -  St. Mary
  • -  Tyler
  • -  Vindicator
  • -  West Coast Blockading Squadron
  • -  Western Flotilla
  • -  Yazoo
  • -  Manuscripts

Genre

  • Manuscripts

Notes

  • -  Reproduction number: A74 (color slide; Essex and Choctaw on one slide)
  • -  The vessels shown here were all part of the Mississippi Squadron under the command of Adm. David Dixon Porter (1813-1891). The squadron was created on 1 October 1862, by the transfer of command of the Western Flotilla from the army to the navy. Its purpose was to cooperate with Union land forces in combating guerrillas operating along the western rivers, to punish Confederate sympathizers, to protect transport and supply ships, and to prevent the movement of Confederate troops and supplies.
  • -  The Essex was an ironclad gunboat built in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1856. Originally commissioned the New Era, she served as a ferry until 1861, when she was purchased by the War Department and renamed. The Essex played an important part in the Vicksburg and Port Hutson campaigns.
  • -  The Choctaw, a side-wheel steamer built in 1853, was purchased by the government in 1862 and converted to an ironclad ram. The vessel spent the entire war patrolling the Mississippi River and its tributaries.
  • -  The Alexandria, originally the Confederate side-wheel steamer St. Mary, was built in Louisiana in 1862. The vessel was captured at Yazoo City, Mississippi, in July 1863, and placed in federal service, initially as the Yazoo, and later as the Alexandria. She operated largely on the Mississippi River between Donaldsonville, Louisiana, and Cairo, Illinois.
  • -  The General Sterling Price, originally the Laurent Millaudon, was a wooden steamer built at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1856. The vessel first served as a Confederate ram, participating in the defense of Fort Pillow, Tennessee, and in the Battle of Memphis. She was sunk in the latter engagement, raised by the Union army, and assigned to the Mississippi Squadron with her name shortened to the General Price. She later ran the batteries at Vicksburg lashed to the Lafayette and served briefly as Admiral Porter's flagship during the Red River Campaign of 1864.
  • -  The St. Clair was a wooden, stern-wheel river steamer built at Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania, in 1862. She was purchased by the War Department for the Western Flotilla but was transferred to the newly created Mississippi Squadron. She was used to patrol the Mississippi, Cumberland, and Tennessee rivers, and she served in the Red River Campaign of 1864.
  • -  The Argosy was a stern-wheel river steamer built at Monongahela, Pennsylvania, in 1863. She was purchased by the federal government at Cairo, Illinois, in March 1863 and used by Admiral Porter to patrol the Mississippi, Cumberland, Tennessee, and Red rivers.
  • -  The Oneota, a harbor and river monitor, was launched at Cincinnati, Ohio, in May 1864. She was still being outfitted when the war ended.
  • -  The Osage, a single-turreted river monitor, was launched in January 1863 at Carondelet, Missouri. She participated in the Red River Campaign of 1864 before being transferred to the West Coast Blockading Squadron, where she was involved in the 28 March 1865, attack on Spanish Fort near Mobile, Alabama. The following day the Osage was sunk by a torpedo in the Blakely River.
  • -  The Eastport was under construction as a Confederate ironclad when she was captured by Union forces at Cerro Gordo, Tennessee, on the Tennessee River. The War Department completed the vessel but converted her to a ram. She was severely damaged by a torpedo during the Red River Campaign of 1864 and had to be destroyed.
  • -  The Lafayette, originally the Aleck Scott, was a side-wheel steamer built at St. Louis, Missouri, in 1848. She was purchased by the War Department in May 1862 and converted to an ironclad ram. The vessel ran the Confederate batteries at Vicksburg with the wooden gunboat General Price and a coal barge lashed to her starboard side.
  • -  The War Department purchased the Vindicator at New Albany, Indiana, in 1863. She was intended for use as an army transport but was converted to ram and assigned to the Mississippi Squadron, where she performed reconnaissance and escort duty, chiefly on the Mississippi River.
  • -  The side-wheel river steamer A. O. Tyler was built at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1857. The War Department purchased the vessel in 1861, converted her to a gunboat, and renamed her the Tyler. She first served in the Western Flotilla, supporting Gen. Ulysses S. Grant (1822-1885) at Belmont, Missouri, before being assigned to Admiral Porter's Mississippi Squadron.

Source Collection

  • David Dixon Porter Papers

Repository

  • Manuscript Division

Online Format

  • image

IIIF Presentation Manifest

Rights & Access

More about Copyright and other Restrictions

For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.

Cite This Item

Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.

Chicago citation style:

Watercolors of Civil War ironclads by Ens. D. M. N. Stouffer, -65. -65, 1864. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/mcc.042/.

APA citation style:

(1864) Watercolors of Civil War ironclads by Ens. D. M. N. Stouffer, -65. -65. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mcc.042/.

MLA citation style:

Watercolors of Civil War ironclads by Ens. D. M. N. Stouffer, -65. -65, 1864. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mcc.042/>.