About this Item
- California Gold Rush collection,
- Correspondence, travel journal, and typescripts of notes by various individuals who participated in the California Gold Rush. Correspondence chiefly of miners and individuals working in mining camps to family members and friends documenting their experiences. Subjects include the hardships of mining, methods of mining, homesickness, and impressions of mining camps and cities. California towns and camps represented are Downieville, Foster's Bar, Georgetown, Log City, Mariposa, Nevada City, Placerville, Rose's Bar, Rough and Ready, and Sacramento. Also features Saint Joseph, Mo., the starting point for many miners. Includes a letter (1852 February 5) by Ogden Ellery Edwards accompanied by a lithograph illustrating mining techniques and life in mining camps and typescripts of his anecdotes, circa 1900, about his experiences in California. Correspondence also concerns women's rights, California politics, and the Mariposa Indian War. Also includes a journal of Lyman P. Wason, kept while sailing around Cape Horn, Chile, to San Francisco in 1849 and while mining for gold in at the Georgetown mining camp in El Dorado County, Calif., 1850-1852.
- Contributor Names
- Wason, Lyman P.
- Subject Headings
- - Edwards, Ogden Ellery--Correspondence
- - Gold mines and mining--California
- - Gold miners--Correspondence
- - Indians of North America--Wars--California
- - Mines and mineral resources--California
- - Mining camps--California
- - Pacific Coast Indians, Wars with, 1847-1865
- - Voyages and travels
- - Voyages to the Pacific coast
- - Women's rights
- - California--Description and travel
- - California--Discovery and exploration
- - California--Gold discoveries
- - California--History--19th century
- - California--Politics and government--19th century
- - California--Social life and customs--19th century
- - Downieville (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - El Dorado County (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Georgetown (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Horn, Cape (Chile)--Description and travel
- - Mariposa (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Nevada City (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Placerville (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Sacramento (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Saint Joseph (Mo.)--Description and travel
- - San Francisco (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Foster's Bar (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Log City (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Rose's Bar (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Rough and Ready (Calif.)--Description and travel
- - Arranged alphabetically by type of material and therein alphabetically by name of person.
- - Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Container number, California Gold Rush Collection, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- - Purchase, 2011.
- - Collection material in English.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Manuscript Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms015023
- 30 items.
- 1 container.
- 0.2 linear feet.
- Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/mss.home
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Cape Horn
- El Dorado County
- Foster's Bar
- Log City
- Nevada City
- Rose's Bar
- Saint Joseph
- San Francisco
- 19th Century
- Description and Travel
- Discovery and Exploration
- Downieville (Calif.)
- Edwards, Ogden Ellery
- El Dorado County (Calif.)
- Foster's Bar (Calif.)
- Georgetown (Calif.)
- Gold Discoveries
- Gold Miners
- Gold Mines and Mining
- Horn, Cape (Chile)
- Indians of North America
- Log City (Calif.)
- Mariposa (Calif.)
- Mines and Mineral Resources
- Mining Camps
- Nevada City (Calif.)
- Pacific Coast Indians, Wars With
- Placerville (Calif.)
- Politics and Government
- Rose's Bar (Calif.)
- Rough and Ready (Calif.)
- Sacramento (Calif.)
- Saint Joseph (Mo.)
- San Francisco (Calif.)
- Social Life and Customs
- Voyages and Travels
- Voyages to the Pacific Coast
- Women's Rights
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wason, Lyman P. California Gold Rush collection. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://lccn.loc.gov/mm2011085598.
APA citation style:
Wason, L. P. California Gold Rush collection. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/mm2011085598.
MLA citation style:
Wason, Lyman P. California Gold Rush collection. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/mm2011085598>.
More Collections like this
CollectionCharles Henry Harvey papers, Correspondence, diaries, daybooks, receipts, and printed matter relating chiefly to Harvey's life and work in Methuen, Mass., as a mill worker and carpenter; voyage around Cape Horn aboard the Crescent to California...
- Contributor: Harvey, Charles Henry - Harvey, Joanne
CollectionEdward Lee Plumb papers, Correspondence, journals, board minutes, reports, dispatches, financial records, printed matter, maps, and other papers relating primarily to Plumb's diplomatic service in Mexico and to negotiations with the Mexican government on behalf of...
- Contributor: Plumb, Edward Lee
CollectionJoseph Ingraham journal,
Joseph Ingraham papers Four volumes containing Ingraham's account of the voyage of the brigantine Hope from Boston to the Falkland Islands; Cape Horn, Chile; Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia; the Northwest Coast of North America; the...
- Contributor: Ingraham, Joseph
CollectionCoolidge-Pollard families papers,
Coolidge family papers | Pollard family papers Correspondence, diaries, travel journals, scrapbooks, legal records, newspaper clippings, printed matter, photographs, and other papers documenting the relationship between Calvin Coolidge and his maternal relatives, the Pollards of Vermont; his attachment to...
- Contributor: Pollard, Isaac - Welch, Linda Margaret Farr
CollectionIsaac D. Bluxome papers, ALS (1856 September 5) signed by Bluxome as secretary of a vigilante committee in San Francisco, California, granting John Stephens's request to leave California with the provision that to return would place...
- Contributor: Bluxome, Isaac D.